edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
19 replies 2.4K views
2»

Replies

• davethorpdavethorp Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All I'm new here but I have been looking at the thread and I recently complained to Barclays. Some girl phoned me after I took it to the FOS as they are paying Direct Debts at mid-night on a Friday which should not be paid until the Monday. if you go in on a Saturday and pay the money in or transfer the money from your savings account with them to the Normal account. Then it is not recognised and the bill is not paid and you get charged for it. I found this a bit unfair so I complained in a friendly manner which is my right. at the end of it all I got some stroppy girl on the phone who called me. She confirmed who I was then went into a speech about there policy. When I tried to speak she spoke over me and when she was finished hung the phone up.

So the only thing left for me to do is to change banks which I'm in the proccess of doing now. But if we think about it all the people who have complained and got nowhere changed there account. Well that would be about 250,000 people from what I gather what would they then do?
    They are loosing revenue if you leave in me leaving over a year it only works out at a couple of thousand they loose. If 250,000 left that would go into the millions.

I would advise anyone to let there feet do the walking Iam and they wont get my money no more.

Anyway a bit of a rant but the banks need putting in there place I think

Ben

May want to check natwest/rbs out. Their direct debit policy is in line with your expectations. I think lloyds tsb also give you chance to pay money in but haven't banked with them for a while so I may be wrong

• chanz4chanz4 Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they should report ppi complaints seperate, as everyone is on the ppi bandwagon even if they did really want it in the start. I dont think its a true reflection
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • The thing that happened to me was that on Friday at close of buisness my account was ok. But on checking it after mid night they had paid out a direct debt for the Monday. Not to bad me thinks so of I truddle to the bank Saturday morning to put some extra cash in. This does not work as they only open on a Saturday as a good will thing. So I still get charge a fee for not enough being on. Even if I had done it at mid night online before the transaction I would still be charged.

I think that is unfair why can they do transactions at mid night and not the customer. To this what is the point of online banking if it only works when they want it to? When other banks allow you time to get in for example LLoyds.

Then to top it all you get some stroppy bird on the phone who reads the riot attack as far as the bank is concerned then hangs up.

I may be only one changing but maybe one day people will learn a way of doing mass changes at the same time. A bit like the demos they have for all the other stuff people power :)

anyway my main reason for changing is that when I complained the person who contacted me had no interest in me just the bank and there profit. One day a bank may come along that will be for the people and not there own profits.
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The published data is statistically meaningless because it does not include the number of customers per bank. If Bank A has 100 customers and 100 complaints, but Bank B has 10,000,000 customers and 101 complaints, which bank has a worse complaint history? Bank A of course. However, the media would report that it's bank B, which is misleading and inaccurate.
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    NFH wrote: »
    I don't understand why it's Barclays which tops the league. They have 4 complaints per 1000 customers, the same as NatWest and Santander. Because there are no decimals on the figures, unlike the figures for HBOS and HSBC, it's not clear which of the three is worst. The partial omission of decimals looks fishy.
    It's probably because Barclays had the highest number as well as the highest proportion of complaints. I don't suggest that it is necessarily the fairest way to present the headlines but it is certainly the journalistic way of things. It is disappointing that MSE resorts to such low standards of reporting but, on the whole, it does provide a valuable consumer service, in my view.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • RuthnJasperRuthnJasper Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    opinions4u wrote: »
    To a point. It's certainly a better measure of complaints than we've had previosuly.

But Santander, for example, will have fewer transactions per account than Barclays, simply because the company's background is a collection of building society savers with a few current accounts chucked on in recent years. Savings accounts have far fewer opportunities to go wrong than current accounts.

Barlcays on the other hand is a huge number of high transaction current accounts.

So reading between the lines, I'd still say Santander is the worst of the lot!

My wager would have been on Santander to win top prize. They certainly lead the way in cr4ppery...
  • heloidheloid Forumite
    472 Posts
    NFH wrote: »
    The published data is statistically meaningless because it does not include the number of customers per bank. If Bank A has 100 customers and 100 complaints, but Bank B has 10,000,000 customers and 101 complaints, which bank has a worse complaint history? Bank A of course. However, the media would report that it's bank B, which is misleading and inaccurate.

You may have noticed that the figures also include the number of complains per 1000 customers..
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    heloid wrote: »
    You may have noticed that the figures also include the number of complains per 1000 customers..
    I think NFH was referring to the FSA's published data (on the link to the xls file) which does not include complaints per thousand customers.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The figures also do not include intermediary complaints. i.e. investment advice given by bank sales reps. All we have at the moment is an "intermediary" total but that covers too many different types to be meaningful. That data usually follows shortly afterwards.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals