MSE News: Barclays tops complaints bad-boy table

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
19 replies 2.4K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The giant was the most complained-about bank during the first half of the year, figures from the regulator show ..."

Replies

• ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    At last - meaningful statistic about customer complaint levels.

The number of complaints per 1,000 customers is far more informative than just the number of complaints which banks can dismiss using the excuse of the size of its customer base. The banks with a poor service record are immediately identifiable from the table.

What excuses will the worst banks trundle out this time, I wonder?
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • At last - meaningful statistic about customer complaint levels.

The number of complaints per 1,000 customers is far more informative than just the number of complaints which banks can dismiss using the excuse of the size of its customer base. The banks with a poor service record are immediately identifiable from the table.
    To a point. It's certainly a better measure of complaints than we've had previosuly.

But Santander, for example, will have fewer transactions per account than Barclays, simply because the company's background is a collection of building society savers with a few current accounts chucked on in recent years. Savings accounts have far fewer opportunities to go wrong than current accounts.

Barlcays on the other hand is a huge number of high transaction current accounts.

So reading between the lines, I'd still say Santander is the worst of the lot!
  • nohnoh Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    opinions4u wrote: »
    So reading between the lines, I'd still say Santander is the worst of the lot!

Stripping out PPI claims, which according to other sources account for 66% of the complaints against Barclays, I would agree.
  • CLAPTONCLAPTON Forumite
    41.9K posts
    the head lines about Barclays show either stupidity or deliberate malice
    EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
    some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
    EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances
  • CLAPTON wrote: »
    the head lines about Barclays show either stupidity or deliberate malice
    In the reporting or the actions of the bank?
  • Hi All I'm new here but I have been looking at the thread and I recently complained to Barclays. Some girl phoned me after I took it to the FOS as they are paying Direct Debts at mid-night on a Friday which should not be paid until the Monday. if you go in on a Saturday and pay the money in or transfer the money from your savings account with them to the Normal account. Then it is not recognised and the bill is not paid and you get charged for it. I found this a bit unfair so I complained in a friendly manner which is my right. at the end of it all I got some stroppy girl on the phone who called me. She confirmed who I was then went into a speech about there policy. When I tried to speak she spoke over me and when she was finished hung the phone up.

So the only thing left for me to do is to change banks which I'm in the proccess of doing now. But if we think about it all the people who have complained and got nowhere changed there account. Well that would be about 250,000 people from what I gather what would they then do?
    They are loosing revenue if you leave in me leaving over a year it only works out at a couple of thousand they loose. If 250,000 left that would go into the millions.

I would advise anyone to let there feet do the walking Iam and they wont get my money no more.

Anyway a bit of a rant but the banks need putting in there place I think

Ben
  • JuicyJesusJuicyJesus Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are loosing revenue if you leave in me leaving over a year it only works out at a couple of thousand they loose. If 250,000 left that would go into the millions.

I would be very surprised if Barclays lost thousands due to you leaving them. You might circulate thousands through your account, but they don't actually earn any of it unless they charge you - current accounts generally lose banks money. Unless you have many, many other products with them or pay lots of fees, you are unlikely to make profit for them which is numbered in the hundreds, let alone thousands. I can guarantee you that my bank would make more money if I left than if I stayed with them.

And in fairness to them, the stroppy girl is probably right. Presumably this would have been covered in their terms. They may require you to have funds in the account the working day before for DDs and such due out the next working day, which if you have DDs out on Monday would be Friday.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Anyway a bit of a rant but the banks need putting in there place I think
    You are most definitely right there. They do need putting in their place.
    ? wrote:
    And in fairness to them, the stroppy girl is probably right.
    She was stroppy. That's wholly wrong. What she said was wrong too. And all the other guff about current accounts is also wrong. Banks farm 'interesting' transactions they spot going into current accounts in totally insecure, indiscreet and disrespectful ways. Then they set about milking those transactions/those customers as best they can. They do it for profit not for love or loss.
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K posts
    I don't understand why it's Barclays which tops the league. They have 4 complaints per 1000 customers, the same as NatWest and Santander. Because there are no decimals on the figures, unlike the figures for HBOS and HSBC, it's not clear which of the three is worst. The partial omission of decimals looks fishy.

I'd be surprised if Barclays is really last; in my experience, they give outstanding customer service.
  • chambtachambta Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unless all banks log complaints for exactly the same things how can they be accurately compared?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support