🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Maxi Isa query

Options
This may be a daft question so I do apologise if that is the case, but I still hold 500 Northern Rock shares from when they became a bank and was wondering if there is any benefit from, or if you actually can, put these shares as part of a maxi isa.
Sorry again if it is a stupid question.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,717 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would be classed as a sale for CGT purposes and admin costs may apply. Apart from that, you can share exchange them in with most selt select ISAs if you think its worth it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    No point really if they are the only shares you hold and you don't plan to buy more.

If you are a basic rate taxpayer you pay no tax on the divis. And if you sell the shares you have an annual allowance of almost 9k for CGT before you have to pay that tax.

So for most people the ISA doesn't actually give them any gain with shareholdings, unless they have a very large portfolio or are a higher rate taxpayer -the latter pay 25% tax on the dividend income.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cb101 wrote:
    This may be a daft question so I do apologise if that is the case, but I still hold 500 Northern Rock shares from when they became a bank and was wondering if there is any benefit from, or if you actually can, put these shares as part of a maxi isa.
    Sorry again if it is a stupid question.

You certainly can move them into an ISA; most brokers will offer a sale and repurchase deal. Whether there is any benefit depends on a number of factors which will be personal to you, such as whether you hold or intend to purchase any other stock market based investments and whether you are a higher rate tax payer.
    So for most people the ISA doesn't actually give them any gain with shareholdings, unless they have a very large portfolio

Ed, this is not right, unless you think that a portfolio over ~£10,000 - 15,000 is " very large ".
  • cb101
    cb101 Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll just keep them as they are
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts