We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone else feel guilty?

Options
2»

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 September 2011 at 8:08AM
    Options
    You're feeling guilty because we're all supposed to be eco-friendly these days and trees are supposed to be good for the environment. However, suburban trees are like any other plant - they may need trimming or weeding out. If you look at them this way, it doesn't feel so bad.

It depends what the tree is. Some suburban trees are imports with little wildlife appeal, no matter how attractive we humans find them.

A species that has been growing here for thousands of years may have ten times the wildlife value of another, brought in during the last century or two.

But even 'natural' trees, like oaks, may need trimming and pruning in their early years. I know one of ours gets mildewed, as it produces so many branches that light & air can't get in properly. I shan't be doing that when it gets to 40' though......for two very good reasons!:rotfl:
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    yes i do feel guilty. but have planted 100m of hedgerow 5 years ago and several trees inc fruit trees.
  • blossomhill_2
    Options
    I read once that domestic gardeners would do well to think of any tree they plant as a plant with a 15 year life, then take it out and plant another one - that way they stay manageable and it helps with the guilt and ensures a constant supply of trees
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure