We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Does anyone else feel guilty?

Options
Ive got 2 Cherry trees and 2 plum trees in my garden.

One of the Cherry Trees was planted too close to the fence (long before I moved in) and its knocked part of it down. It also blocks off most of the light to the Patio and other parts.

Im going to chop it down, but felt so guilty, ive plated 5 acorns, 2 Horse Chesnuts and one Willow tree (in pots for now) to make me feel a little better about doing it. Hopefully most of the acorns and Horse Chesnuts with germinate. The willow is my favourite tree.

These wont be going in my garden, I wish I had the room, but my Friends Mums Husband has a fair bit of land, and said I can plant them there.

Does anyone else do this when/if they cut down a tree? Or am I just mad to feel guilty?? :o
I know my spelling is shocking :eek: It is alot better than it used to be though :rotfl:

Comments

• renegade
    renegade Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    Options
    I do...I have a Eucalyptus tree in my garden which is now about 25ft high, but it is growing the wrong way, it is growing over my lawn and sways in an arch sooner or later it will reach the other side of the lawn and meet with my shrubbery plants,I have no choice but to chop it down, it's such a shame as I love to watch it swaying so gently in the wind.
    With hindsight I think I planted it the wrong way round.:-((
    You live..You learn.:)
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nope - you're not mad - more like a potential member of the Druids or the Men of the Trees:)

EDIT: And the Men of the Trees havent updated their "name" yet - but I presume they take it for granted that they are now the People of the Trees...
  • Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have just chopped down two apple trees and a plum tree. The apple trees did nothing the year before but we were getting swamped with wasps which ate through the plums - plus the dog was constantly getting stung from the wasps, so we have chopped them down now. Will miss the plums but couldn't be helped.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Chop it down and put the wood on Freecycle. Lots of people use garden wood in log burners and at least you won't have to drag it to the dump.
    Val.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes I hate it...apart from the leylandi, who I did not hate chopping down so much. As soon as we can afford to get the stumps removed we have plans to replant lots of less oppresive deciduous trees so we get privacy again in summer, but light back through winter...and lots of bird homes!

I have LOTS of place to plant trees, and not enough money for the trees atm...we're planting three pears this year I hope, and a couple of hazels, then....who knows. Next year I plan to buy some cheapies and put them in the hedges. :)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No. We've chopped down/dug up about 100 trees in the last year and we're very glad to be rid of them. We still have about 5 or 6 to go. Lovely, lovely logs (in 2013!) :D

On the other side of the equation, we also repatriated about five reasonably mature trees and planted around 200 hedge saplings, most of which have taken OK. We'll be planting more individual trees in the winter. :)

You can't make omlettes without cracking eggs. If someone has made a pig's ear of a garden by bad planting, the sooner it's dealt with the better.

Also, in the general run of nature, some trees will have to be sacrificed for the benefit of others. We had to take down a couple of large ash trees in a hedge, which had probably sprung up naturally and which were threatening much older and more valuable oaks.
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    i am on number 35 and hated the damn things..the house we moved into was dark and damp due to they surrounded the house...locals say the difference is amazing and its the best thing long term for the house...just a big oak with a girth of a elephant to go...
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • muskoka
    muskoka Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Options
    GonzoAston wrote: »
    Ive got 2 Cherry trees and 2 plum trees in my garden.

One of the Cherry Trees was planted too close to the fence (long before I moved in) and its knocked part of it down. It also blocks off most of the light to the Patio and other parts.

Im going to chop it down, but felt so guilty, ive plated 5 acorns, 2 Horse Chesnuts and one Willow tree (in pots for now) to make me feel a little better about doing it. Hopefully most of the acorns and Horse Chesnuts with germinate. The willow is my favourite tree.

These wont be going in my garden, I wish I had the room, but my Friends Mums Husband has a fair bit of land, and said I can plant them there.

Does anyone else do this when/if they cut down a tree? Or am I just mad to feel guilty?? :o

Cherry tree roots can seriously undermine foundations on a house. I only know because my neighbour has cherry trees a good 20' away from my house & I had to put in 2 metre foundations to ensure neighbours cherry tree roots didn't become a problem. The 2 metres was insisted by building control.
  • sirbrainy
    sirbrainy Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Options
    :D Don't feel guilty - you da boss! :D

I chopped off two thirds from 2 out of control pear trees this summer plus hacked well into a few massive hazelnuts that my neighbour very politely had a good moan about ;) (I roped him into the clean up job down to 3 metres as he has an electric chainsaw :)).

Couldn't feel better about it :beer::beer::beer:
    A couple of years ago I laid into 5 venerable old apple trees we had that were also too big and chopped off over half the height.

Nae problemo, all fit & reporting for duty. Better shapes.

Inspiring me to give them another seeing to next year or so when I plan to bring them down to a height where I can just about prune them without using a ladder.

I did chop back a big plum tree at the same time which turned out to be a big mistake in timing (Spring) as the dreaded fungal infection set in and it's not looking too happy with quite a bit of dieback. That one's getting chopped out completely at the first opportunity, already planted some shrubs at the base in anticipation - and never enjoyed plums with a grub in much anyway :cool:
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    You're feeling guilty because we're all supposed to be eco-friendly these days and trees are supposed to be good for the environment. However, suburban trees are like any other plant - they may need trimming or weeding out. If you look at them this way, it doesn't feel so bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure