We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help with Thomas cook complaint

Options

Comments

• paulwellerfan
    Options
    all the fun of a holiday.
    take it you do have insurance that you can claim from???
    It appears that THomas cook looked after you well. providing you with hodel room etc.
    i had the same thing happen a few years ago whalst i was in turkey.
    Didnt even bother to make a claim, it was soon forgotten when i was back home.
    hope you get all that you deserve, and are entitled too. ( i mean that in the nicest way.)
    good luck with it.
    credit card bill. £0.00
    overdraft £0.00
    Help from the state £0.00
  • 1stTimer
    Options
    all the fun of a holiday.
    take it you do have insurance that you can claim from???
    It appears that THomas cook looked after you well. providing you with hodel room etc.
    i had the same thing happen a few years ago whalst i was in turkey.
    Didnt even bother to make a claim, it was soon forgotten when i was back home.
    hope you get all that you deserve, and are entitled too. ( i mean that in the nicest way.)
    good luck with it.

Hi
    I've contacted my insurance company about the delay and the only thing they could offer was the baggage forms in case I never get them back, with regards to the delay they said as it was a return to the uk I hadn't lost any of my holiday entitlement so was unable to help,
    You are right I appreciate they put us in a hotel and laid on breakfast but they wouldn't even let me have a bottle of water on wed night without paying for it myself, as it was their error and not mine I'd expect a bit more consideration
    And then supplying us with a plane that was too small?? I booked a Thomas cook flight A330 to come back in and ended with an Astreus A320 which is a smaller plane and different company
    I had to keep calling the uk with different info every time they said 'yes we have a plane available' only for it to be delayed again, the whole thing was a nightmare!
    Again I am grateful to be home but not happy that I just have to accept we can be treated like that with no money back? If it was me that had delayed the plane etc they would have gone without me and I'd probably had to pay to make my way home again
    Intrum 1 £7250 / 6144.16 / £5726.16
    Intrum 2 £4753 / £4130.33 /£3853.33
    PRA 1 £4088 / £3848.22 / £3578.22
    PRA 2 £1370 / £1284.19 / £1194.19
    Cabot £1505 / £0
    Virgin Money £1035 / £0
    Tesco £2232 / £0 
  • mick_vandick
    Options
    I booked a Thomas cook flight A330 to come back in and ended with an Astreus A320 which is a smaller plane and different company
    Don't make that part of your complaint to TC as they withhold the right to change the plane type and company to whatever they want at any time. You don't book a flight on a certain aircraft, you book the flight itself and that is what they are contracted to provide.
    :beer:
  • 1stTimer
    Options
    Don't make that part of your complaint to TC as they withhold the right to change the plane type and company to whatever they want at any time. You don't book a flight on a certain aircraft, you book the flight itself and that is what they are contracted to provide.

Hi Mick
    Yes I understand that but a plane too small to take passengers and luggage?
    With the original plane we would have our suitcases now as the plane would of had the fuel capacity to take both?
    Intrum 1 £7250 / 6144.16 / £5726.16
    Intrum 2 £4753 / £4130.33 /£3853.33
    PRA 1 £4088 / £3848.22 / £3578.22
    PRA 2 £1370 / £1284.19 / £1194.19
    Cabot £1505 / £0
    Virgin Money £1035 / £0
    Tesco £2232 / £0 
  • HXDave
    HXDave Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I've contacted my insurance company about the delay and the only thing they could offer was the baggage forms in case I never get them back, with regards to the delay they said as it was a return to the uk I hadn't lost any of my holiday entitlement so was unable to help,

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, however you must understand that these things do happen from time to time, and can be unfortunate.

As may have been suggested by others, the first thing you need to do before jumping on the phone to soliciters, lawyers, legal teams etc is to write to Thomas Cook and see what their reply is. In hindsight, if you go to court and the judge finds out that you havenot given the tour operator a chance to redeem themselves in the first instance, he may throw your case out (no pun intended - honestly).

As far as the quote above regarding your reply from the travel insurance, i would get onto them about this again, as with all the travel insurance companied i have ever dealt with, travel delays covers for both ways, not just the outward. the payment for travel delay is to cover incidentals you may need, and not for loss of enjoyment or time on your holiday.

Regards

HXDave
    [FONT=&quot]I used to be a Travel Agent [/FONT]
    Used to be a travel agent for 23 Years, but now out of the industry. However I will help with what i can.
  • bignred05
    bignred05 Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1stTimer,

a number of years back we were delayed on our return home, so much so we had to return to our resort (not the same hotel though in Minorca) for a hotel bed for the night (well it was about 4-5 hours)

when we got back to the U.K. we contacted our insurance company, who promptly paid up (x 2 adults & 1 child) on the delayed "return" flight back to the UK
  • g.m_4
    g.m_4 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone. Any help will be massively handy. Sorry for the long post;

Girlfriend and I have just had a delayed flight from Tenerife to Gatwick. Fri 08/06/12 .Flight TCX3213 scheduled for depart 13.40.
    We took off apprx 8 hours after departure time - 21.40
    Now from reputation we all can expect Thomas Cooks customer care to be minimul. It was.
    We were given 10euro food vouchers for the whole duration so meals care was covered on TC behalf (round of applause).However we Asked for and were DENIED phone calls, internet access, scanner or printer use and even to speak to a Fly thomas cook rep in U.K as we were told there are not any present in Tenerife. (hmmm :/)
    So our main concerns were a)landing in time to catch a train from Gatwick home (family in hospital might I add) or b)arranging accommodation if not possible. Thomas cook reps gave no help and palmed us off to speak to insurance. But would not provide phone or email.
    Called insurance off mobile, who stated there has to be 12 hour delay before claims are considered!
    Question: when does the delay begin and end? In total we were delayed over 12 hours if factor in check in times, flight time and baggage claim etc.
    The reason for delay? Weather conditions in the U.k. Ok we can accept that as a valid reason, but then there were at least 6 other GTW flights that day and numerous other flights to other LDN and U.K airports.?!?
    We tried several other airlines who were fully booked, all we were offered were flights to Madrid, then a Gatwick flight the next morning. Sort of irrelevant so I have yet to mention that my girlfriends dad was taken hospital Thurs night so we were stressing about that too.

I am no expert and get confused with all this. Where do we stand?

Shall we challenge the delay reason? Should we be entitled to a claim or refund? Before I write to Thomas Cook complaining about the poor customer service do I need to cover any more angles?

Hope to hear from you all;

Grant
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    g.m wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Any help will be massively handy. Sorry for the long post;

Girlfriend and I have just had a delayed flight from Tenerife to Gatwick. Fri 08/06/12 .Flight TCX3213 scheduled for depart 13.40.
    We took off apprx 8 hours after departure time - 21.40
    Now from reputation we all can expect Thomas Cooks customer care to be minimul. It was.
    We were given 10euro food vouchers for the whole duration so meals care was covered on TC behalf (round of applause).However we Asked for and were DENIED phone calls, internet access, scanner or printer use and even to speak to a Fly thomas cook rep in U.K as we were told there are not any present in Tenerife. (hmmm :/)
    So our main concerns were a)landing in time to catch a train from Gatwick home (family in hospital might I add) or b)arranging accommodation if not possible. Thomas cook reps gave no help and palmed us off to speak to insurance. But would not provide phone or email.
    Called insurance off mobile, who stated there has to be 12 hour delay before claims are considered!
    Question: when does the delay begin and end? In total we were delayed over 12 hours if factor in check in times, flight time and baggage claim etc.
    The reason for delay? Weather conditions in the U.k. Ok we can accept that as a valid reason, but then there were at least 6 other GTW flights that day and numerous other flights to other LDN and U.K airports.?!?
    We tried several other airlines who were fully booked, all we were offered were flights to Madrid, then a Gatwick flight the next morning. Sort of irrelevant so I have yet to mention that my girlfriends dad was taken hospital Thurs night so we were stressing about that too.

I am no expert and get confused with all this. Where do we stand?

Shall we challenge the delay reason? Should we be entitled to a claim or refund? Before I write to Thomas Cook complaining about the poor customer service do I need to cover any more angles?

Hope to hear from you all;

Grant

Save the enviroment, save ink. You were delayed, got a meal voucher, you didn't starve, you survived. Get over it. Get on with your life. Fresh air is precious. Don't waste it on trivialities
  • mcfisco
    mcfisco Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As BF said, just move on now

The trick is to get as much as you can from them at the time or on the delayed flight.
    After the fact, it's usually far too much hassle for too little gain
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
  • g.m_4
    g.m_4 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Save the enviroment, save ink. You were delayed, got a meal voucher, you didn't starve, you survived. Get over it. Get on with your life. Fresh air is precious. Don't waste it on trivialities

Stiff upper lip and all that eh?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family