Navy sub recruitment

Hiya, wonder if anyone could help my ex-partner has decided to join the navy as a chef on the subs... he passed all the prelims and then heard nothing for ages. Then out of the blue in Aug he got notification he was to have his first medical which was a fornight ago ....which he passed... he informed me yesterday that he has his second physical/medical on monday. Suddenly seems to be all systems go.. :eek:

Does anyone know what happens next? is it the 8 week training course in Raliegh (???) or is that still a few stages off? Does he have anything else to pass before he starts basic training??

Ive asked him but he wont say much, all i know is at some point hes away for 8-9 weeks training where he cant come home and will be off on deployments for months on end. Other than that im in the dark and quite anxious about it all. :o:o:o
«1

Replies

  • edited 9 September 2011 at 6:13PM
    WhatliesbenethWhatliesbeneth Forumite
    23 Posts
    edited 9 September 2011 at 6:13PM
    hi,

    try this forum there is a section for people joining the navy and in particular the submarine service the answers you need are probably on it:-

    https://www.navy-net.co.uk

    there is a lot of information on the navys website :-

    http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/

    and the navy community website:-

    http://www.rncom.mod.uk/

    also on monday evening on 5 there is a series program "Submarine Mission - Hms Turbulent' which will give you an idea of life onboard a submarine and what to expect for your ex.

    http://www.channel5.com/shows/royal-navy-submarine-mission

    also if you want to see what chefs do onboard a submarine watch this:-

    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/hestons-mission-impossible/4od#3177220


    regards

    wlb
  • Brilliant thanks.. i did watch the programme you suggested other night. was an eye opener already.

    Finding it all a little daunting cos we have a 3 year old together with shared custody so gonna have a big impact on everyones life - despite the fact were seperated. Oh well guess that didnt come into his thoughts when he signed up!! But we wont go there!!

    Thanks for your help anyway :)
  • it will be at least a year more likely two from joining up before he goes to sea with all the courses so at least you will have time to adjust and try to understand it all. best of luck :)
  • Fergie76Fergie76 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it's your ex, what does it matter to you?

    You don't mention any kids, so I'm assuming there are none involved.
  • cajefcajef Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fergie76 wrote: »
    You don't mention any kids, so I'm assuming there are none involved.

    Try reading the thread again
    johanne wrote: »
    Finding it all a little daunting cos we have a 3 year old together with shared custody so gonna have a big impact on everyones life
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke. :|
  • Fergie76Fergie76 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    cajef wrote: »
    Try reading the thread again

    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

    I only read the OP.
  • Fergie76Fergie76 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    johanne wrote: »
    Brilliant thanks.. i did watch the programme you suggested other night. was an eye opener already.

    Finding it all a little daunting cos we have a 3 year old together with shared custody so gonna have a big impact on everyones life - despite the fact were seperated. Oh well guess that didnt come into his thoughts when he signed up!! But we wont go there!!

    Thanks for your help anyway :)

    Have you ever though that he is doing it, to provide a better life for your daughter? Submariners are well paid and you do get quite a lot of time off in the Navy, by comparison to other jobs.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    As submariners are not different trades to the rest of the Navy I would think the competition for submarines is very keen and, considering the number of submarines that we currently have, then he is going to need to be the best of the best with at least a few years experience under his belt.
  • Fergie76Fergie76 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    As submariners are not different trades to the rest of the Navy I would think the competition for submarines is very keen and, considering the number of submarines that we currently have, then he is going to need to be the best of the best with at least a few years experience under his belt.

    Wrong........
  • edited 12 September 2011 at 6:03PM
    SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 September 2011 at 6:03PM
    Fergie76 wrote: »
    Wrong........

    It would have been nice if you had explained a bit more but since you didn't then I will.

    Surprisingly the RN have chef(submariners) (something I didn't know)

    However my other point still stands. With an extra £5k when you get your dolphins then i would expect competition for places to be fierce.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides