MSE News: Ed Balls calls for compulsory financial education

Comments

• chadders93
    chadders93 Forumite Posts: 9 Forumite
    Rednelly wrote: »
    I believe compulsory financial education should not be prioritised over basic numeracy and literacy when one in five teenagers leave school without these skills.

Financial education is nice to have - these basic skills are essential and our failure to provide them is a disaster for the country.

Emphasis on critical thinking education would create the skills necessary to make effective decisions in life without the likelihood of information becoming out of date and irrelevant.

More details in this MSE thread.

I agree with this financial education should not be prioritised over literacy and numeracy especially at basic level. Plus I think teachers struggle as it is to fit in all the current compulsory requirements and subjects that have to be taught without having to introduce this as well. When I was doing my GCSE’S just over 3 years ago it was hard enough for my teachers just fitting in the compulsory core Information Technology Lessons and that was only taught once a week, as there was no more teaching time available for it.
  • chris_m
    chris_m Forumite Posts: 8,250
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Rednelly wrote: »
    I believe compulsory financial education should not be prioritised over basic numeracy and literacy when one in five teenagers leave school without these skills.

Too right - what's the point of trying to teach people financial stuff if they can't add, subtract, multiply and divide?
    Financial stuff is all about numbers, it helps if one knows how to work with numbers before trying to apply that knowledge to anything more complicated.
  • brit1234
    brit1234 Forumite Posts: 5,385 Forumite
    I opt Ed Balls for the first candidate for the teaching. Without it and he gets into power our economy is doomed. Remember he worked under Gordon Brown when he was Chancellor and what a mess he made.
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • Teacher2301
    Teacher2301 Forumite Posts: 407 Forumite
    There is a myth that all society’s ills, faults, problems and woes can be cured by education or as some say 'you should have learnt that at school!'

Well it’s true to some extent but that's not education that’s learning and some things children need to learn should be at home (and there’s a whole new debate about that). The curriculum in schools today is based on what was conceived by politicians in 2006 (where we all have to teach about being successful citizens – well that worked didn’t it?). This is already five years out of date because the con-lab coalition are now busily re-writing the curriculum to be introduced in 2013/14 and this means a whole upheaval for teachers who have to write new materials, resources and lessons.

To say that teachers should teach financial education is fine but there has to be a point when something else has to go out of the timetable especially in secondary education where pupils are focused on their GCSE’s and where schools are now encouraged to teach the English Baccalaureate (5 passes in English, Maths, two Sciences – strangely counted as one, you tell me who needs numeracy education, a humanities and MFL). Between these subjects you have space for about four more GCSEs in the timetable and this is to allow pupils to choose what they want to do. Some do want to do further maths, gain mathematical functional skills and do subjects like business studies which have elements of financial education but many others don’t – so when are schools expected to teach financial education?
    Considering it was Ed Balls’ ex-department that conceived the current curriculum which I stated is out of date, I find it rather hypercritical to see that he now, in opposition, decided to take up Martins plea for financial education in schools. Typical labour/ opposition politics are operating here, Ed Balls did nothing when in office as Secretary of State for the Department of Children, Schools and Families so why is he so interested now? Political point scoring that all – it’s easy to say these thing in opposition isn’t it Mr Balls? Why didn’t you consider this issue when in office?
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' : Member number 632
    Nerds rule! :cool:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Forumite Posts: 0
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    i learnt about financial stuff as i got older and needed credit etc,teaching it schools where time is short is not a serious suggestion,the petition will be ignored no matter who signs it/supports it,mse are suggesting that 100,000 signatures will get this debated in parliament,they are being economical with the truth,perhaps as they have a vested interest?
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Forumite Posts: 20,861
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    woodbine wrote: »
    i learnt about financial stuff as i got older and needed credit etc,teaching it schools where time is short is not a serious suggestion,the petition will be ignored no matter who signs it/supports it,mse are suggesting that 100,000 signatures will get this debated in parliament,they are being economical with the truth,perhaps as they have a vested interest?

Do you not understand the whole point of the petition site? It's a public forum whereby if 100,000 people sign it, it will get debated, simple as that. No "economical with the truth" to it.
  • JAG
    JAG Forumite Posts: 1,302
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Do you not understand the whole point of the petition site? It's a public forum whereby if 100,000 people sign it, it will get debated, simple as that. No "economical with the truth" to it.

But will it?

"When the scheme was launched earlier this year, people were given the impression that any petition gathering 100,000 signatures or more would automatically be discussed by MPs.
    But it has now emerged that a debate will take place only if, having gained 100,000 signatures, the subject is also suggested by an MP on the obscure Backbench Business Committee."
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Forumite Posts: 20,861
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    JAG wrote: »
    But will it?

"When the scheme was launched earlier this year, people were given the impression that any petition gathering 100,000 signatures or more would automatically be discussed by MPs.
    But it has now emerged that a debate will take place only if, having gained 100,000 signatures, the subject is also suggested by an MP on the obscure Backbench Business Committee."

Ah, well I never knew that!
    2010 Forumite Posts: 5,276
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Ed Balls, wasn`t he an economic adviser to former Prime Minister Gordon (the clown) Brown.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Forumite Posts: 0
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Lokolo wrote: »

you are under the same misaprehension,the govt has said they "may" get debated,already one petition that had over 200,000 signatures has been rejected for debate by the govt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 243.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure