Scottish Power to EDF back to Scottish Power - What do you think?

Options
cazzerb
cazzerb Posts: 10 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
I recently decided to switch from Scottish Power after finding good deal (fixed til Sept 2012) with EDF. Monthly DD from £115 pm to £84. Process is underway......

So, just had a call from my old friends at Scottish Power saying they really wouldn't like to lose my business so would I like to come back? They've offered me the EDF quote plus an additional 6% off and will hold price til Dec 2012....

What do you think. Is it too good to be true.

I'm tempted :undecided

Comments

• jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    Options
    cazzerb wrote: »
    What do you think

I think its too late to quit Edf without paying the £50 Early Termination Fee.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends how many days ago you initiated the switch.
    I wouldn't even consider it without getting that offer from SP in writing.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cazzerb wrote: »
    I recently decided to switch from Scottish Power after finding good deal (fixed til Sept 2012) with EDF. Monthly DD from £115 pm to £84. Process is underway......

So, just had a call from my old friends at Scottish Power saying they really wouldn't like to lose my business so would I like to come back? They've offered me the EDF quote plus an additional 6% off and will hold price til Dec 2012....

What do you think. Is it too good to be true.

I'm tempted :undecided

I think it is too good to be true.:eek:

Can Scottish Power Rep confirm that it works like this? As I understand it, SP can only offer their own specific tariffs. Their fixed tariff may or may not be cheaper or dearer,depending on consumption levels.

The 6% sounds like a Direct Debit discount to me.

Sounds like a classic case of misselling which SP should investigate. :(
  • backfoot
    edited 9 September 2011 at 9:16AM
    Options
    The only SP product I can find which matches the timescale quoted is the Online Fixed Saver December 2012.

You need to compare this with the EDF deal using predicted annual KWh consumption. Use a Comparison website. Don't just use your monthly direct amount.

There are discounts for dual fuel and managing the account online. I can't see anything which equates to 6% though.
  • jalexa
    edited 9 September 2011 at 9:20AM
    Options
    backfoot wrote: »
    Sounds like a classic case of misselling

My first response to the OP's "what do you think" (based on the OP's "process is underway") was liability for a £50 Early Termination Charge.

To turn exactly the same point against Scottish Power, an "inducement" to "come back" which ignores a £50 cost to the consumer satisfies my personal "misselling" test.

And we may never know whether the salesperson intended to compound the "misselling" with a fraudulent erroneous transfer claim.:(
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Options
    Get the verbal offer you have had from SP in writing
  • backfoot
    Options
    The SP Rep should be able to trace the agent via the OP.

I take your point fully re the termination fee from EDF.Never in a million years would they have pointed this out to the customer.

Once again,shady practice enters the arena of energy selling, doorstep or telesales.
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jalexa wrote: »
    My first response to the OP's "what do you think" (based on the OP's "process is underway") was liability for a £50 Early Termination Charge.

To turn exactly the same point against Scottish Power, an "inducement" to "come back" which ignores a £50 cost to the consumer satisfies my personal "misselling" test.

And we may never know whether the salesperson intended to compound the "misselling" with a fraudulent erroneous transfer claim.:(

To be fair to them, when they tried it on with me they did mention the early termination charge and said it wouldn't be worth it. I think they are probably trying to catch people in the cooling off period but they have too many leaving.
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    Are you already beyond the EDF cooling-off period?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • jalexa
    Options
    StevieJ wrote: »
    I think they are probably trying to catch people in the cooling off period..

That is an interesting point which has been touched on a few times in recent threads without being answered for certain. On balance, without being certain, I am of the view that "nothing happens" (including losing supplier notification) until the expiry of the "cooling-off" period.

If it was the other way round you could well imagine the "phone frenzy":eek: which would result. The eventual "sorry you are leaving" contact is only intended to address "erroneous transfer", not to change minds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure