We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Wheel hubs/bearings/knuckles?

2»

Comments

  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Don't jump the gun! It may have just been a warning and your bearings will last another 100,000 miles.
  • colino wrote: »
    Don't jump the gun! It may have just been a warning and your bearings will last another 100,000 miles.

    Garage at time said hub needed replacing SOON.

    If it meant I was wasting money on bearings, only to change the whole lot again in a few weeks, I dont know why they went ahead.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2025 at 1:58PM
    [quote=[Deleted User];46742523]

    Right so even if I have hub changed now a week later then they wont put the newish bearings back in? I'll have to pay again for new bearings....

    I guess I might as well wait until these bearings wear out again then...

    Cheers RAC/garage then for just changing bearings. Pointless that was. Wished I'd insisted they'd towed me home now and had the whole job done properly.

    Would have ruined your holiday though.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Exactly as above, they fixed the car the only way possible but judged it temporary.

    Also as said it may last the car out, hence my comment get it checked out at mot time.

    And if the worst comes to the worst you'll hear the same warning sounds you got previously.

    So;
    You will need a new hub and bearing if what I/we understand you've said is correct

    It will be at the time the hub is changed

    That may be in 5 weeks or 5 years

    Hope that clarifies things a little.;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 3 April 2025 at 1:58PM
    mikey72 wrote: »
    [quote=[Deleted User];46742523]

    Would have ruined your holiday though.

    As it happened, we were going home later that day anyway. RAC gave us option of tow home or local garage to fix.

    They offered to pay for the labour so I thought great, and it also saves me the hassle when Im back home.
  • Exactly as above, they fixed the car the only way possible but judged it temporary.

    Also as said it may last the car out, hence my comment get it checked out at mot time.

    And if the worst comes to the worst you'll hear the same warning sounds you got previously.

    So;
    You will need a new hub and bearing if what I/we understand you've said is correct

    It will be at the time the hub is changed

    That may be in 5 weeks or 5 years

    Hope that clarifies things a little.;)

    Yeh. Garage made it sound like I HAD TO get the hub changed ASAP.

    If thats the case, I'll just see how the bearing lasts and see how things are MOT time etc. As long as its not dangerous in the meantime.... ?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.