We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Wheel hubs/bearings/knuckles?

Recently had a problem with my Kia Sedona. Wheel bearing needed replacing...

Garage at the time (I was away on holidays) managed to do it but said hub was also worn and needed replacing soon. They'd been able to refit the bearing but if I didnt sort it out then it would wear again.

Spoke to Kia and they think garage might have meant knuckle rather than hub. Confused now. Can someone explain please?
«1

Comments

  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,180 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 3 April 2025 at 1:58PM
    [quote=[Deleted User];discussion/3471777]Recently had a problem with my Kia Sedona. Wheel bearing needed replacing...

    Garage at the time (I was away on holidays) managed to do it but said hub was also worn and needed replacing soon. They'd been able to refit the bearing but if I didnt sort it out then it would wear again.

    Spoke to Kia and they think garage might have meant knuckle rather than hub. Confused now. Can someone explain please?[/QUOTE]
    Just an idea... but why not discuss it with the garage so that you understand what they mean?

    I know you were away on holiday at the time.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,233 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Without asking them you would need to get it stripped down to find out. Possibly a balljoint or trackrod worn
    which puts extra strain on the bearing.

    Maybe the hub itself where the bearing is pressed in has distorted or the bearing is a loose fit?

    Without speaking to them its a best guess situation, Or pay to have it all stripped down to investigate.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    They probably think the bearing housing (in the hub) has been damaged and is either misshappen or worn meaning that the fixed, outer bearing might start to turn in the hub, requiring a replacement hub in the future.
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Could be an !!! covering situation if the bearing was pressed out/in with a 5lb lump hammer? If the bearing fails prematurely, we did say the hub was knackered guv!
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    I agree with both the above, given no present issues I'd wait to see if the issue returns as the bearing will almost certainly need changing again if an attempt is made to remove it to replace the hub. ;)
    MOT times your friend here.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • colino wrote: »
    They probably think the bearing housing (in the hub) has been damaged and is either misshappen or worn meaning that the fixed, outer bearing might start to turn in the hub, requiring a replacement hub in the future.

    Sounds like it might be right - they said something about having to do something to get it to fit.

    So the housing is in the hub? Not the knuckle?

    Whats the worse that could happen?
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    The wheel bearing will go again.
  • wealdroam wrote: »
    Just an idea... but why not discuss it with the garage so that you understand what they mean?

    I know you were away on holiday at the time.

    I intend to but I like to try to understand mysefl also.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2025 at 1:58PM
    [quote=[Deleted User];46736175]Sounds like it might be right - they said something about having to do something to get it to fit.

    So the housing is in the hub? Not the knuckle? Correct

    Whats the worse that could happen?[/QUOTE]


    It'll need a new wheel bearing and hub which it may do now and will do if either are changed, ;), you don't put old bearings that have been spinning in a worn hub back in a new hub.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 3 April 2025 at 1:58PM
    [quote=[Deleted User];46736175]Sounds like it might be right - they said something about having to do something to get it to fit.

    So the housing is in the hub? Not the knuckle?Correct

    Whats the worse that could happen?[/QUOTE]


    It'll need a new wheel bearing and hub which it may do now and will do if either are changed, ;), you don't put old bearings that have been spinning in a worn hub back in a new hub.

    Right so even if I have hub changed now a week later then they wont put the newish bearings back in? I'll have to pay again for new bearings....

    I guess I might as well wait until these bearings wear out again then...

    Cheers RAC/garage then for just changing bearings. Pointless that was. Wished I'd insisted they'd towed me home now and had the whole job done properly.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.