We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
At what point do you sell/change your car?
I've had my Skoda Fabia 1.9TDI since October 2006, been pretty reliable generally but more recently it's started to develop more and more problems and thinking maybe time to get rid rather than fix them all! From what I can see it has the following:
Power Steering - intermittent loss of power assistance (mostly at low speed) - I think I read this is possible PAS sensor (its the old type of sensor being an x-reg).
Intermittent loss of power - struggled to get above 80 (on private roads), sometimes it will have some extra power kick in form somewhere, then a second or two later, it will lose it, then could find it again, or could not. Seems to be MAF sensor from what I've read (part alone costs £150ish)
Rear coil springs corroded - both sides, just passed MOT but possible issue by the time the next one comes about.
failing alternator - had car in for an MOT and passed, but battery was dead when I collected! Garage jumped it and used a voltmeter to read the battery charge, and alternator did not start originally, likely to develop into a failure, and likely reason I've had a few flat batteries recently.
So all of these, I can imagine the bill will run to £600-900 if I sorted them all. The car is probably only worth £1200 or so! Not all of them are urgent, but I'm pondering what to do (I wouldnt do anything until the new year anyways - its taxed to march and new MOT). At what point do you decide your car is not worth carrying on maintaining and look to get rid? Luckily they're not urgent so I can foresee the expense.
Power Steering - intermittent loss of power assistance (mostly at low speed) - I think I read this is possible PAS sensor (its the old type of sensor being an x-reg).
Intermittent loss of power - struggled to get above 80 (on private roads), sometimes it will have some extra power kick in form somewhere, then a second or two later, it will lose it, then could find it again, or could not. Seems to be MAF sensor from what I've read (part alone costs £150ish)
Rear coil springs corroded - both sides, just passed MOT but possible issue by the time the next one comes about.
failing alternator - had car in for an MOT and passed, but battery was dead when I collected! Garage jumped it and used a voltmeter to read the battery charge, and alternator did not start originally, likely to develop into a failure, and likely reason I've had a few flat batteries recently.
So all of these, I can imagine the bill will run to £600-900 if I sorted them all. The car is probably only worth £1200 or so! Not all of them are urgent, but I'm pondering what to do (I wouldnt do anything until the new year anyways - its taxed to march and new MOT). At what point do you decide your car is not worth carrying on maintaining and look to get rid? Luckily they're not urgent so I can foresee the expense.
matched betting: £879.63
0
Comments
-
I tend to get bored after about 2 years and change it then!
But I've been in a similar position to you. It's about balancing potential costs with the cost of changing your car. However, having dealt with 'intermittant' power loss in a turbo diesel before (with the 1.9 VAG engine too) I'd say get shot of it now. We spent 2 years replacing various parts trying to cure a problem with our old Audi 80 losing power and spent way too much money on it.
Braking problems are also something that I can't abide. Again, the audi had the ABS module fail and that's what finally prompted me to get rid.
Diesels are always worth something though, and there are bargain second hand cars out there. Punt yours onto ebay with a brutally honest description and someone will have it, and you can move onto something a bit fresher.0 -
I have never sold a car in my life.
With 1 exception.... I sold 1 to my sister, a car that I later got back on it's last legs for a year or two, that car got stolen when it's MOT had run out, I can't remember what was actually wrong with it.
All my other cars I have 'sold' to scrap yards.0 -
I think I read this is possible PAS sensor (its the old type of sensor being an x-reg). Sensor isn't going to be much, you'll be able to fit it yourself too, can't find it online so assume its a vag only part - £50 (guess)
Intermittent loss of power - struggled to get above 80 (on private roads), sometimes it will have some extra power kick in form somewhere, then a second or two later, it will lose it, then could find it again, or could not. Seems to be MAF sensor from what I've read (part alone costs £150ish). Could well be a maf issue - £80 from eurocarparts for a bosch sensor and you can fit this yourself - you won't need any mechanical knowledge, it unbolts and slides out, the new one slides in. You could even try cleaning it first.
Rear coil springs corroded - both sides, just passed MOT but possible issue by the time the next one comes about. You'll get replacement springs for about £30 each - plus say the same again fitting - £120
failing alternator - had car in for an MOT and passed, but battery was dead when I collected! Garage jumped it and used a voltmeter to read the battery charge, and alternator did not start originally, likely to develop into a failure, and likely reason I've had a few flat batteries recently. New alternator can be had for £120, or if its serviceable you'll get it reconditioned for about £60-80. You can replace this yourself, allow £10 for a belt
So all of these, I can imagine the bill will run to £600-900 if I sorted them all. The car is probably only worth £1200 or so! Not all of them are urgent, but I'm pondering what to do (I wouldnt do anything until the new year anyways - its taxed to march and new MOT). At what point do you decide your car is not worth carrying on maintaining and look to get rid? Luckily they're not urgent so I can foresee the expense.
Have commented in bold above - sounds like a bill of closer to £330-370 to me, get onto some vw forums and ask someone near you to run the car on vagcom - that'll pinpoint pas steering sensor and maf (check the flow rates) for certain. If you're happy that doing this work means the car will last another couple of years then I'd say it's definately worth sorting.
If you are sure you want to sell then I would personally clean up the springs, clean the maf, try cleaning the pas sensor, reset the fault codes then sell it at a price that slightly undercuts everyone else. Don't mention the alternator or steering sensor unless they're causing a problem all the time.0 -
I'd get rid when it fails an mot and is uneconomical to repair it.
I'd ignore the springs, I'd think all cars of that age will have rusty springs.
If your cars SKODA Fabia 1.9 TDI (09.1999-10.2005) ATD 1.9 74Kw, heres a MAF for £65.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mass-Air-Flow-Meter-SKODA-Fabia-1-9TDi-99-05-ATD-MAF-/150544073530?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo=LVI&itu=UCI&otn=5&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=2559864668135325240
Worth a punt (has it been on a computer? My old vauxhall used to throw up a MAF fault for a EGR problem)
If the power steerings just a sensor too, I'd get onto a Skoda forum and find where to get one cheap.
As far as an altenator goes, I'd think you could get a reconditioned unit for £100-£150.
Whilst on the Skoda forum, ask how to change the above.0 -
If I can find a decent 'how to' on changing MAF sensor I might give it a go. I looked at the PAS sensor and a guide for changing it and got put off. My last repair to the car (window assembly) took about 4 hours and then had to get it repaired a few months later in a garage as it broke again!matched betting: £879.63
0 -
There are two potential ways to change, depending on whether the element itself is changeable or if it's part of the housing.
If you look at your air filter box, then follow the piping back at some point (usually close to or right at the filter housing) there will be a large plastic ring piece that has a sensor plugged into the top, normally with 2/4 allen bolts holding the filament in. Unplug the wire, undo the bolts and pull out the sensor, now you can either clean it with some carb cleaner (carefully) or replace with a new one.
Alternatively it may be permanently built into the housing, if this is the case then take off the filter box, then unplug the sensor wire and remove the whole housing (jubilee clip will likely secure it) and replace. Alternatively take off the filter housing, run the car and spray carb cleaner into the maf housing (the car will choke, you might have to give it a rev to stop it from stalling)
It's that easy, I promise0 -
I don't let my cars get to a point where they have lots of faults..... I get stuff fixed as soon as I know about it, because one thing can lead to another and another and another.
For example - Leaking water pump -> loss of water -> HG failure -> Cambelt and pulleys contamination -> Rust -> Cambelt seizure -> £1500 bill for the sake of a £35 part.“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”
<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/0 -
I normally sell a car when i start to lose faith in it or when it's done what i wanted it for (ie my winter cars). I've had 8 cars since March last year, i got rid of my favourite one because it was costing too much to run and never found one that i liked enough to keep until i bought my current one.0
-
As soon as the seats start to smell of man ar5e, then I know its time for a new one.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards