Help with social tariff analysis please

Options
clouty
clouty Posts: 118 Forumite
Hi everyone,

My daughter, after her abusive partner left last year, found they were :eek: £800 behind with the energy bills. She has been paying over the top direct debits to reduce this debt.

She's studying to become a teacher, on income support and has two children under five.

I've been looking at her energy situation, and the tariffs available, and it seems she is still in debt for £330, is on the EDF dual fuel standard tariff and is eligible for social tariff discounts. She is a high user, mostly because of the cheap tumble dryer she has to use to survive the mountain of washing in a small flat. She is learning about all these things, and mum is giving advice on cutting usage which is at present £1125 for both per annum.

I'm getting conflicting advice from various sites, and I wondered if any energy savvy geniuses here could put me straight.
  1. EDF say their social tariff is 15% discount on their standing charge - elsewhere it says the s.t. is 15% of the bill - which is right? It's the difference between £7.07 and £170.
  2. Do EDF give any duel fuel monthly Direct Debit discount?
  3. NPower looks a better option - their social tariff discount is (Npower) £120 per fuel, applied in March or elsewhere it says up to £125 per fuel, applied quarterly. They give a £105 annual duel fuel monthly Direct Debit discount, I know. It's on my paperwork for my own account.
  4. Do any of the comparison sites compare social tariffs?
I might be able to pay the balance owed to EDF, in order for her to be able to switch, if she sets up a DD to me to repay it over time.

I've done a search of the forum, but I didn't find the info needed. I'm sure we're not the only family that needs to know. Thanks for reading. I hope some kind clever person can help.
may your good days grow

Comments

• Airmike23
    Options
    better off with EDF Fixed Saver 2 almost certainly cheaper than their social tariff and fixed against their imminent price increase until 30-9-2012, which the scoial tariff will not be protected against
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 September 2011 at 9:56PM
    Options
    Get her to check her current supplier to see if she qualifies for the Warm home discount scheme. This is a credit of £120 to be paid on the electricity account during the winter.This is replacing the suppliers social tariffs. She should then also check to see what is the cheapest online tariff she can get.

Also check out if they have a trust fund that she can apply to for help with the debt balance.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport