• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 March at 3:15PM
    Options
    Silver82 said:
    Local Council: Fareham
    Current Band C

I haven't yet started as getting evidence, while getting evidence I have a HM land registry document that says my property was valued at £45,500 in 1992. On the Nationwide calculator it says it was £49 557 in 1991. Which means I should be a band B. However if I put in the value I paid in 2007 it calculates the value of my property as much higher £55,335. Does anyone know why this is? If I put in my neighbor's properties which are all similar to mine how will I know if this is accurate?? Do I need to see if my elderly neighbors still have the same documents I do from the land registry to prove valuation? I think my whole street may be on the wrong band as all of our properties are 3 bed terraced only one has had an extension, the rest are the same as when built in the 50's 

What document is this which says your property was valued at £45,500 in 1992?  If it was a sale document, it begs the question why didn't the owners at the time appeal the CT band in 1993? Is your home a former council house by any chance?

Ignore NW and similar calculators as they will be inaccurate and the VOA will not accept them as evidence to support a lower band.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • VHappy1
    VHappy1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Many thanks for the great advice on Council Tax rebanding. We passed the 'neighbour check' but failed the 'valuation check', so we weren't in the best category and there was a risk that neighbours could be rebanded upwards. But the results were phenomenal:

Local council: Charnwood
    Previous band: E
    Revised band: D
    Refund: £8,529.30
    Monthly saving: £37

The Valuation Office took a while to reband as the appeal was delayed due to workload.

As we have occupied the property since Council Tax was introduced, the refund was backdated to 1993. 

Two very nice cruises now happily booked!

Many thanks Martin...now on to the car finance claim!!
  • norm_
    norm_ Posts: 187 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sent a challenge 17th January, got a reply 31st Jan to say they would investigate. Yesterday I received an email saying they agreed to drop my band from D to C, so an excellent result. Thank you MSE.

I am due about 6 years worth of refund, approx £1200.
  • grahamandalison
    Options
    Local council: Telford & Wrekin
    Previous band: G
    Revised band: F
    Refund: £8,071.82
    Monthly saving: £45

As we have occupied the property since Council Tax was introduced, the refund was backdated to 1993. It's a unique property so "neighbour comparisons" didn't seem appropriate at the time.   I was never entirely happy with the G banding but it's only since so much data became available on the web (house price indexes and the like) that confidence to challenge grew.  I indexed what we actually paid in 1986 to April 1991 and came up £20000 short of the band G starting rate.  The lady on the phone at the valuation office was a delight, the letter came through a month earlier than she said it would and I've just had a revised bill showing a credit of £5200 (they've deducted the CT for the current year from the total which doesn't seem unreasonable).  Simple online form to claim the refund.  I never got to participate in the "PPE savings scheme" because I always got the tick boxes right, but this is just as good.
  • ML_username
    Options
    Local Borough Council: Cheshire West and Chester
    Council Tax Band Before: Band E
    Council Tax Band After: Band D
    Amount refunded:£3,100

Thank you Martin!  We watched your council tax discussion in January 2024, and decided to try to get a refund.  We live in an end-of-terrace house - but our house had the outrigger removed back in the 1960's.  Of course this is not visible from the street, so we were put into the same band as the other houses in the terrace - band E.  After much research I was able to provide the proof that the house was indeed smaller in the 1991-93 timeframe, and VOA agreed!  We bought our house in 2016, so we have been reimbursed £3100 by the Council for those 7 1/2 years.

I do have two questions for you though:
    1. £1 in 2016, 2017, 2018 etc was worth more than £1 as of today (basically caused by inflation).  However, the council did not take that into account.  Is there some way to get the Council to reimburse us the additional monies due to the inflation?

2. The Council did not add interest to the reimbursement.  Shouldn't they have also reimbursed us for our lost interest?

My two points are clearly a national issue not a local council issue so I haven't bothered to ask the council.  Do I have any hope?

Regards,

-name withheld by request-
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I do have two questions for you though:
    1. £1 in 2016, 2017, 2018 etc was worth more than £1 as of today (basically caused by inflation).  However, the council did not take that into account.  Is there some way to get the Council to reimburse us the additional monies due to the inflation?

2. The Council did not add interest to the reimbursement.  Shouldn't they have also reimbursed us for our lost interest?

My two points are clearly a national issue not a local council issue so I haven't bothered to ask the council.  Do I have any hope?

Regards,

-name withheld by request-
    A very frequent question on these boards. But as there is no reference paying interest in CT legislation (nor adjusting for inflation)  the answer is no to both questions
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback