Cat wee

Options
Anyone got any tips to stop my cat weeing where she likes?

She doesn't wee downstairs in the kitchen (unless we have left a cushion out for her, so we don't any more), or in our bedroom where she sleeps. She gets locked in the kitchen during the day, and goes outside to go toilet. She knows to do this and does it no problem.

The problem is at night. First, she weed on the bed in our third bedroom, occupant not very happy, so locks her out now. Last night, she weed on the clothes of the person staying in our second bedroom while he popped to the loo. She usually sleeps in our room and doesn't wee at all.

She tries to wee on the front door mat unless we shout at her.

We think she knows exactly where she should go (started off with a litter tray and then moved it outside, then got rid of it altogether), because she does go outside when there are no soft things about. And she has never pooed inside.

We think it's because it cold and wet outside sometimes, but that's just tough. Life's not fair, and she only has to go out for a couple of minutes!

I should add that I don't want to use a litter tray inside because the only way bf would let me get a cat was if we didn't use a litter tray. Plus she doesn't really need one, cos it's mainly weeing upstairs that's the problem.
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• Kaminari_2
    Options
    Sounds like she is marking her territory more than having a wee problem. Not sure how to sort it out though, sorry!
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    Here's a link that may help, but I think you may not like some of the answers

http://www.qeok.com/cats/1098-4-cats.html
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Haha, maybe about the territory, we just assumed she was being lazy. :rotfl:
  • HopeElizzy
    Options
    What are you cleaning with afterwards? Most cleaning products have amonia in them which is attractive to animals - smells like another animal has been there so they wee again to mark it as their space. The best thing to use for cleaning is non-bio washing powder. any sort will do but this is one thing that doesn't have cat- attracting ingredients in it!:D HTH
    "all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."
  • pollyanna24
    Options
    So far she's only made it to bed clothes and jeans and such like, so just bunged them in washing machine.

We have some spray to stop her stratching the stairs, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Depends on what mood she's in, I think. Maybe I'll spray that around a bit.
  • Tuttifruitty_Theresa
    Options
    first of all i will tell you straight away you're not going to like my answer. When you clean up her wee use white vinegar to neutralise the smell (acid neutralises the ammonia). This is the bit you're not going to like. You can't lock a cat in your kitchen all day, it's not fair on the animal, female cats don't normally mark territory only males do this and they spray not wee. She is probably bored, cat's like to roam it's in their nature. You have either got to let her out for longer or let her roam the house during the day. Also get her a cat climber and some toys and also reconsider the litter tray, if she's weeing then she needs one and if it's cleaned daily it won't smell. If you don't want her roaming the house or outside then a cat isn't the pet for you. Forgot to say have her checked at your vets, she may have an urinary infection.

xx
  • PONDSAVER_2
    Options
    I had a silamlar problem with my old man ( cat not OH) and have now reintroduced the cat litter tray for him as he is prone to urine infections and tries to wee alot sometimes. It alwats seems to come back when its cold so a check at teh vets might be good for you.

Does she have access to a cat flap or open window when she is in the kitchen.

My boys have free access all over except to the bedrooms when we are out and also have free access to outside. Cats do liek their freedom and as the above poster said maybe she is bored and is doingthe childlike thing of attention seeking??
    Lightbulb moment 10-06-06
    Total debt £36,996.70 June 2006
    Total debt approx £33,000 Oct 2006
    Jan 07....to be worked out but may have gone up GULP:confused: :mad: :eek:
    DFD March 2011
    DFW Nerd 111

19 jan 23 feb 5 weeks:( - grocery challenge £250
  • pollyanna24
    Options
    She isn't locked in just the kitchen all day, maybe I didn't explain that very well. She's got her catflap and goes out all the time.

She does her business outside during the day as well.

She's usually out when we get in, sees us and runs in.

I would certainly not entertain the idea of locking a cat in the kitchen with nowhere to go all day. Even I think that's cruel.
  • PONDSAVER_2
    Options
    Maybe a trip to the vets so they can check for infection as that could be the cause. My oldest has it at least once a year and normally a shot of antibiotics clears it up (the vet injects it just the once no tablets to give)

Also the vet recommended just wet food for a couple of weeks whilst it cleared up and no biscuits - after a couple of weeks to re introduce biscuits as a treat only and use wet food as his main diet.

HTH
    DFD March 2011
    DFW Nerd 111

• PONDSAVER_2
    Options
    O and orange spray on where they've been stops them returning.

good luck :-)
    DFD March 2011
    DFW Nerd 111

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories