Bring back Heinz Vegetable and Potato Salad Tins

Options
These have been discontinued by Heinz and no-one else seems to do the equivalent

I suggest we all bombard Heinz with pleas for re-instatement.

I miss eating them straight from the tin - a good standby when the rest of the cupboard was bare!

Comments

• bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Options
    I've never even heard of them!
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
  • julietiff
    Options
    me neither.
  • cazj80
    cazj80 Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    I've not tried the potato salad one, but bought the vegetable salad when camping once, it wasn't the best thing I've ever tasted lol!
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 1,533 Forumite
    Options
    Reminds me of my youth,I havent bought any for ages,wish I had,shame to see it go.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Was that the stuff that looked and tasted like you would imagine 3 day old vomit would? My mum used to put it on every single salad she ever made and she was the sort of mum that insisted you eat everything on your plate. It was on a par with Vesta packet curry as a taste sensation of the 70's. Eurgh. Never again.

But if you want a close equivalent, try Sandwich Spread.
    Val.
  • kitschkitty
    Options
    Don't dis the Sandwich spread, it's lovely! :D

I remember the tinned veg, and spud salads - have to agree they were pretty rubbish but not quite disgusting!
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Scooterman wrote: »
    These have been discontinued by Heinz and no-one else seems to do the equivalent

I suggest we all bombard Heinz with pleas for re-instatement.

I miss eating them straight from the tin - a good standby when the rest of the cupboard was bare!

Oh dear a 70's flashback - ahh the good old days when a salad was a couple of floppy lettuce leaves, half a hard boiled egg, couple of slices cucumber and tomato then a good dollop of Heinz potato or veg salad.

I doubt Scooterman that you would find it tastes the same as you remember, I bought butterscotch angel delight (another childhood memory) and it didn't taste like I remember it, far to synthetic for my taste now.

You might want to try making your own - I think the secret might be a mix of mayo & salad cream and the essential gherkin for the vinegary taste.

Good luck
  • Habsish
    Options
    Why not make your own? Ingredients below but really all you need is carrots, potatoes, and peas. Rest is probably salad cream.

Cook for about 5mins in boiling water. Dry off and mix it all up with salad cream. Tastes the same.

Suitable for tweaking. A little onion?

Regards

H

INGREDIENTS: CARROTS (26%), POTATOES (26%), WATER, SPIRIT VINEGAR, VEGETABLE OIL, PEAS (5%), SUGAR, MODIFIED CORNFLOUR, MUSTARD, SALT, EGG WHITE, ONIONS, STABILIZERS, XANTHAN GUM AND GUAR GUM, FLAVOURINGS,SPICE, HERB EXTRACT, COLOUR-BETA-CAROTENE

GLUTEN FREE!
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2012 at 8:31PM
    Options
    My local Spar probably still has some. Years ago, I would indulge my occasional hankering for salad cream with some tinned Heinz potato salad. The vegetable salad was dire but the coleslaw was even worse eww.

However the worst salad I have ever eaten was in Canada were they have this gruesome habit of plonking salad etc in a shallow dish and pouring lime Jello (jelly) over the top and putting a slice on your plate. Jelly with your Iceberg lettuce anyone ? :eek:

Arctic Rolls are back (not that I ever had one before) and currently on offer at Ocado
  • dobiegr
    Options
    Just buy yourself a tin of any supermarket 'own brand' mixed vegetables in brine (about 45p), drain off the water and mix a couple of dollops of cheap mayo - you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference from the 'real stuff'.

I've tried some reasonable Polish stuff from the chill cabinet at Sainsburys, but at £1.20 it's far more expensive.

For 'tattie salad' I think LIDLs Kartoffelsalat is pretty much all you'd ever want.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure