PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a house with no shared freehold agreement written up

Options
Hi,

Can anyone help please?

We have just had an offer accepted on a flat with a share of the freehold of the building. It is a converted house and so there are only two flats on the freehold. We have been informed that a shared freehold agreement can be written up, but how is this done? Does it have to be legalised by a solicitor, or is it simply a contract that can be written up between two freeholders at any time?

In which case what might be the costs involved in having this document created?

Any help or advice on this subject would be most welcome. Thank you!

Comments

• KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 August 2011 at 9:32PM
    Options
    5647mark wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone help please?

We have just had an offer accepted on a flat with a share of the freehold of the building. It is a converted house and so there are only two flats on the freehold. We have been informed that a shared freehold agreement can be written up, but how is this done? Does it have to be legalised by a solicitor, or is it simply a contract that can be written up between two freeholders at any time?

In which case what might be the costs involved in having this document created?

Any help or advice on this subject would be most welcome. Thank you!

TBH, I don't know if I'd bother if it's only two households. There's no requirement to have one (in case you think there is). I live in a converted property, three households altogether. We sort out bills between us, and just pay our leasehold percentage. I pay the landlord electricity bill and fire alarm testing, then the other households pay me back their share.

For bigger bills (we just had scaffolding up to fix the roof and paint the front of the property), we sort out costs up front, and each pay our individual proportions.

I don't know what a shared agreement would have in it, but on the basis that it simply agrees how you will manage bills, I can't personally see the point. Just knock on your neighbours door and ask to agree how it will work! If the agreement can force payment from one of you if something needs doing, then I suppose it could be important if the other freeholders refuse to contribute. But how legally binding that is, I don't know - even with an agreement they can refuse to pay and you'd have to take them to court at your expense, I would guess.

Just make sure you're clear what share of the freehold you have (50%, I'd imagine), and what percentage of sharehold repairs / bills your lease holds you to. The net effect as a shared freeholder is that you just pay the percentage on the lease.

My perspective is that as long as they're okay people, and as long as you make the effort to get along and work out any issues, a two-household freehold situation can be managed on an 'as and when' basis between you.

HTH a bit
    KiKi
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • 5647mark
    Options
    Thanks Kiki,

I guess the main point of the original question was to ascertain whether the freehold agreement is legally necessary and how much security it offers if the other freeholder doesn't hold up their end of the bargain if, for example, the roof needs repairing.

I'm also slightly confused about the lease situation; I know it has recently been renewed for 999 years, so that's not an issue, but are there likely to be other terms and conditions to the lease that we may have overlooked?

I guess this is the sorts of issues that a solicitor will look over anyway?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure