Acrobat reader x-anyone like it?

in Techie Stuff
6 replies 505 views
Hi folks,

Some time ago I upgraded to the latest acrobat reader x. Not really that fussed about it and thinking of going to back to the 9 version. Am I missing somthing here and the latest version is really good or most people not like it? Whereas the old version used to open as a pdf reader file the latest version seems to open more like a web page, there is also a kind of floating toolbar with a printer + and - icons on it but everytime I try to click on it the toolbar disappears.

Just wondering is there any way I get the new reader to open just like the old one?

thanks
Martin57

Replies

• OneADayOneADay Forumite
    9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    The latest version work fine - its best to keep upto date as the earlier version will have security holes.

Are you talking about PDFs opening in a web browser - its not pretty as the old version but it what Adobe give us. You could try a different web browser and see if it helps.

Opening PDF file stored on the computer works pretty much as the older version.

Just live with it - maybe Adobe might improve things back to what they were :-)
    Or maybe Microsoft will take over Adobe and destroy it all.....
  • edited 31 August 2011 at 7:47PM
    closedclosed Forumite
    10.9K Posts
    edited 31 August 2011 at 7:47PM
    It gets more bloated with every release, foxit is much lighter, (38vs12Meg download) opening in a browser is an optional setting that has been around for a while
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • RussJKRussJK Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Main reason for Adobe X over Adobe 9 is for the 'protected mode', so that any successful exploits are contained within a sandbox.

There are many PDF based exploits, and not necessarily from downloading dodgy PDFs. The usual way is to visit a website that links to an exploit kit, and the exploit kit looks for vulnerabilities in common applications. Java is the bigger problem though when it comes to exploits.

I use a few different readers - Nitro, PDFXchange, and Foxit. They all run sandboxed.
  • ShimrodShimrod Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    martin57 wrote: »

Just wondering is there any way I get the new reader to open just like the old one?

It's an option under preferences - internet settings. Can't remember off the top of my head which one it is but I do remember I couldn't get it to work. I despise Reader X and went back to 9.4 - the whole pdf through a browser seems a step backwards, as do many of the other 'usability' enhancements.
  • John_GrayJohn_Gray Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Have a look at Sumatra PDF Reader, which is virtually bloat-free and very simplistic. The only problem is the vile yellow background (there's a parameter to change that to any colour you like, fortunately).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals