IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Dont' know what to do about driving lessons

in Motoring
19 replies 1.3K views
Hi i will start at the begining. About six years ago i spend nearly a year learning to drive a manual with bsm, was meant to go for my test twice but each time they said i wasn't ready. Must have had about 70 hours. I stopped learning

Last year i decided that i really want to be able to drive and though that an automatic would be better for me and i would pass quicker. I have had about 35 hours in a automatic, had a couple of breaks after having my little boy and due to exams this year. After my driving instructor messing me around with my last lesson and she is leaving next month. I thought that i would find another instructor and go back to learning in a manual

This morning i had a lesson in a manual, it was an assessment, i don't' think it went well, mistakes that i don't normal make, i made. I didn't like the clutch and gears at all.

The instructor says that i need 50 hours in a manual to pass my test.

Now i don't know what to do, it has knocked my confidence, maybe im not cut out to pass my test.

Do i continue in a automatic or learn in a manual or give up.

I don't want to be learning for another year, my theory only has a year left on it too. This instructor does intensive, where i could do so many hours a day, only problem is trying to fit it in with a baby.
Married 09/09/09

Replies

• I would stick with an automatic. It does restrict the type of car you can drive to those with only two pedals, but if you have difficulty with clutch/accelerator co-ordination then an auto is dead easy to drive.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • iolanthe07 wrote: »
    I would stick with an automatic. It does restrict the type of car you can drive to those with only two pedals, but if you have difficulty with clutch/accelerator co-ordination then an auto is dead easy to drive.

Thankyou, i was quite happy to learn in a automatic, i have had lots of people make negative comments about it. Also the driving instructor today said that an automatic license is not a proper license, is this true?
    Married 09/09/09
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    It is a proper licence.

You can only drive automatics with it. (If you were to pass in a manual car, then you get a licence to drive both auto and manual, which is what he is badly trying to say - as well as sell you the 50 hours of lessons!)
  • Thankyou for your reply Quentin. I just want to be able to drive, i have had a look to see if i can get a small automatic car on autotrader and i would be able to also the insurance seems to be the same as manual.
    Married 09/09/09
  • The people who make negative comments about automatics often have not driven them much. The advantages include much less stress in city driving and traffic jams and more relaxed driving. The disadvantages are increased fuel consumption (though this depends on the type of automatic transmission fitted to the car) and higher purchase cost. Some people also claim that you do not have as much control when driving an automatic, but I have driven both manual and auto over 47 years and do not think this applies to ordinary day to day driving. Maybe if you're a boy racer........!
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • ChuzzleChuzzle Forumite
    625 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I learnt and passed my test in a manual car, but due to my husband only being able to drive an automatic (for health reasons) this is the only car I drive. I LOVE AUTOMATICS!! You don't have the horrible rolling back when doing a hill start, you don't run the risk of stalling the engine at junctions. Personally I would say persevere in a manual as it does give you both options of cars to drive. We do find that 2nd hand automatics can be a bit thin on the ground - well family sized ones anyway. Insurance prices are no different whether manual or automatic - or there is very little difference. At the end of the day though it is entirely up to you, if you don't feel happy in a manual then I'd stick with the automatic. I do find though that as I am not physically changing gear I tend to forget (ignore??;)) what speed I am doing so do run the risk of speeding which is not a good thing - fortunately our current car has cruise control so I can set the speed and forget it!:rotfl:
    Banana Lovers
    Buy your bananas in bunches of 5 on Sunday. Then arrange them in order of ripeness and write a day of the week on each banana in felt pen, Monday on the ripest, Friday on the greenest to save time making those decisions on a hectic weekday morning
  • Thankyou all for your replies. I have just spoken to a driving school who have both automatic and manual and told them what the instructor said about the 50 hours, they said they wouldn't have thought that i would need that many hours. They are going to get someone to ring me tonight and arrange a lesson in a manual and to give me an assessment and then i can choose whether to do manual or automatic.
    Married 09/09/09
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    There is one downside to automatics - any gear box repairs are usually far more expensive than for a manual!
  • debbieblueeyesdebbieblueeyes Forumite
    173 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Last year i decided that i really want to be able to drive and though that an automatic would be better for me and i would pass quicker. I have had about 35 hours in a automatic, had a couple of breaks after having my little boy and due to exams this year. After my driving instructor messing me around with my last lesson and she is leaving next month. I thought that i would find another instructor and go back to learning in a manual
    This morning i had a lesson in a manual, it was an assessment, i don't' think it went well, mistakes that i don't normal make, i made. I didn't like the clutch and gears at all.
    The instructor says that i need 50 hours in a manual to pass my test.
    Now i don't know what to do, it has knocked my confidence, maybe im not cut out to pass my test.
    Do i continue in a automatic or learn in a manual or give up.
    I don't want to be learning for another year, my theory only has a year left on it too. This instructor does intensive, where i could do so many hours a day, only problem is trying to fit it in with a baby.

Hi,DONT GIVE UP,Ive been learning how to drive on and off for the past 6years,ive had some horrible instructors,i told one of them that i was not ready to go onto a roundabout and what did he do take me on a roundabout nearly crashed his car,and this particular company ripped me off,id bought a block of lesson n they said id had more then my block which was absolutly rediculus anyway i stopped driving for 6months after that.I didnt think i was cut out to drive n pass my test either.When i plucked up the courage to go back to driving,with a different company(scotties driving school) he put me at ease and have been with scotties for about 1.5years now and will be having a mock test with one of his other drivers in the next couple of weeks,then the proper one,anyway when i started again i couldnt get the hang of manuel it took me a couple of months,but you will get it,youll wake up one day and think omg thats how it works.Instructors do not know how many lessons you need its down to the individual.Its all about confidence.you need to be comfortable with your instructor.Dont think youve got to stay with the same instructor,really hope this helps and GOOD LUCK
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    32.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Think about future job prospects, One of the women in the office lost out on the reps job because
    she could only drive an auto and all the company cars were manual.

Due to the discount they got on the cars they couldnt offer enough for her to buy and run her own
    vehicle.

Also the boss asked people to collect items and drop items off locally, Again she couldnt do this because she
    ony had an auto licence.

May not apply to yourself but something to think about.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals