London Theatre

Hello

I am going to London in mid-November with friends and we would love to go to see a musical. However, we ideally want to book ahead of going, as we won't have time to go to the half price ticket booth and we want to be able to plan other things too. Can anyone recommend any discount codes or websites I should use to book?

We will no doubt go to see something popular like Shrek, Legally Blonde or Ghost...but open to other things too.

Thanks in advance!:)

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    When I went to the Palladium earlier this summer to see The Original Bucks Fizz (although they can no longer call themselves that), I used https://www.seetickets.com to buy my ticket. I found them extremely easy to use and they didnt rip me off either. If I go to London again, I will either buy my tickets direct from them or I will go and stand at the booth in Leicester Square.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Horace wrote: »
    I used www.seetickets.com to buy my ticket. I found them extremely easy to use and they didnt rip me off either.......

Lots of warnings about them here:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews74389.html
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    If you're buying tickets cheap and don't mind what you see too much, make sure you use the TKTS booth in Leicester square (not one of the many tout booths about the place) - they represent the actual theatres of the West end and do important charity work too.
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    were just back from London .... went to see
    women in black i would give it a 4/10 ( not a musical though)
    war horse 6/10
    lion king 9/10 really great show

on previouos trips we have seen
    Lord of the rings ( dont think that is there anymore though)
    phantom of the opera 4/10 ( if it's lucky)
    Avenue Q another 9/10 amazing show, but Avenue Q is currently touring ( saw it in glasgow last month:)) but it might be back by the time you go ... DONT however take kids to see it
    stomp 5/10

were going to see Journeys end when it tours next month if you want me to let you know how that is ... it might be back in time for you to go see it when you go down

i wouldve loved to have seen blood brothers when we were down but sadly didnt get the chance

in Leicester square there is a discount ticket office if you need to get tickets

enjoy your trip
  • alk29
    alk29 Posts: 45
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi There
    Absolutely agree about TKTS I use them a lot when I'm in London and find them great.

They have a website too which sells tickets in advance. Don't think I can post links but a quick google search will find them (add UK or you get the New York version!)- they're part of the society of west end theatres who porduce a good guide to whats on where. The website also has a picture of their Leicester Square office. Look it up and go to that one rather than all the other places nearby that claim to be "official half price" outlets

I've also had good deals on lastminute. According to an email I had from them its "London Theatre Fortnight" with offers etc until September 4th but I haven't looked at the site to see what the deals are.

In terms of shows if you can go on a weekday night you have a better chance of getting a bargain or on Friday some of the shows do 2 evening performances one around 5pm and one around 8pm and again you can often get some good deals for the early one.

Of the shows I like the big musicals Legally Blonde is very good fun. Big shows like the Lion King, les Miserables and Wicked tend to be very spectacular much more so than their touring versions - personally that's what I'm looking for at West End prices!
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have to admit I've seen Avenue Q both in the west end and in Glasgow ... Preferred the Glasgow show ... Saw les mis in Edinburgh ..not sure if I would see it in the west end
  • My real favourites at the moment are the Jersey Boys and Million Dollar Quartet
    Fabulous
    travelover
  • The_One_Who
    The_One_Who Posts: 2,418
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You need to decide what you want to see and then you can think about planning things around it. I think most of the big shows (like The Lion King) sell tickets through sites like Ticketmaster, but you need to be aware of booking fees. You might be better calling up the venue box office themselves and see if they can help you.

There are loads of sites out there that list everything that is currently playing in London (musicals and theatre) and loads of reviews of the shows.
  • Pixiegill
    Pixiegill Posts: 202
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Quentin wrote: »
    Lots of warnings about them here:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews74389.html

I also read the reviews after I booked some tickets with them but was pleasantly surprised ! I booked online on the Saturday for tickets in November, I was a bit concerned as they advised that the tickets would not be dispatched until mid October BUT on the Monday I received an email to say they had been dispatched and received them on the Thursday! - excellent service and would use again :beer:
  • MzFitz
    MzFitz Posts: 80 Forumite
    www.theatremonkey.com

Look at the listings on the side for Discounted Tickets. Seating plans. All sorts of joyous stuff on there.
    TKTS also sell tickets in advance, but it's only in person so no point in trying to phone and book.
    As to what to see, that's a very personal thing. I've seen Legally Blonde once, I've seen Lion King once, and that was enough for me. Phantom I could see over and over again (and will again next month).
    I've also used SeeTickets for years without a problem - and Ticketmaster (love the new Ticketmaster where you can chose your own seat). Also check out Ambassador Theatre website - http://www.atgtickets.com/ - might give a greater choice of tickets/less booking fee.
    But I'd recommend Theatre Monkey as your first stop. Fab site.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure