Do insulated radiator panels save money? - I'm testing them now

Options

Comments

• beer2006
    beer2006 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, foil costs very little, cardboard can be got from outside peoples houses on rubbish day, ask for bubblewrap on freecycle if you haven't got any.
    PVA glue, ask your dad to get some from wilkinsons, or another cheap shop.
    Cost? about a fiver.

Can you post a link to screwfix, I can't find it?
    “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment, pain of love lasts a lifetime.”
  • echo
    echo Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Options
    rightyho.i'll stick with my original plan of making them.got bubblewrap and cardboard ( one never knows when these things are gonna come in handy!!!!!!!!).pva glue under the sink as well-not used if for ages though.the only problem i'm gonna have is attaching it to the walls.i have blue tac attached to the present foil.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    On one of my rads have held the panel away with tealight 'empties', perhaps not a good idea. Anyways stuck 'em onto the foil with double sided tape.
    And bubblewrap will wallpaper paste to cardboard well enough. Blue tac sounds good.
  • jonny2510
    jonny2510 Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can understand the foil will reflect heat back towards the radiator and out (rather than let it excapes through the wall)

The cardboard I assume is for rigidity

What exactly is the function of the bubblewrap?
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Perhaps not needed, but could be added insulation, the equiv.to the foam backing on bought stuff.
    Am presently making up window shutters with something similar....to go between curtains and double glazing, perhaps getting a good seal to the window reveal with magnetic tape.
  • beer2006
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The way I look at it is this, the bubblewrap is against the cold wall, that should stop alot of the cold getting to the cardboard, the cardboard is to stop the heat getting through to the bubblewrap.
    I might be way wrong on this btw :D

I thought about the window shutters as well, but we have 7 windows downstairs and fitting and upfitting them everyday would be a pain, as well as finding somewhere to store them.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,974 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    whatever the physics of it, tinfoil on bubblewrap works a lot better than tinfoil on its own!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    what happens if the radiators are on internal walls, probably more effective letting the internal walls heat up and add to the effect rather than reflecting the heat away and towards the windows
  • beer2006
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would guess its better to heat the room now, rather than the wall so it slightly warms the room later.
  • yellowmoon
    Options
    Notts City Council are selling panels by mail order. 0115 9151426

I phoned for info. today as they are advertised at 5 panels for £7.

I spoke to the person, who took my address for postage purposes. From my address he said I had cavity walls and asked if they had been filled. I told him they had. He didn't think the panels would be very beneficial in those circumstances. I replied that I actually wanted them for my daughters house, and gave the address. He knew that the walls there would be 'solid' and said there would be a benefit to using the panels in that house.

I will wait until I receive the broucher and continue to follow the thread but I think I will invest £7 and give them a chance.
    :money:Lightbulb moment 5th Jan. 07 Total £26,319.43:eek:
    DFW Nerd No.309 :cool: Proud to be dealing with my debts
    Tesco card £4,247.57 0%
    NatWest £6,896.16 3.9%
    M&S card £2,733.50 3.9%
    Total Debt now = £13,877.23 :D Debt Free Date - December 2011:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income