Do insulated radiator panels save money? - I'm testing them now

Options

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,977 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    OK just done it, it makes a big difference. The wall behind the rads always felt warm and the rest of the wall cold. Now the foil feels cold to touch and you can feel hot air "blowing" up the gap between the rad and the wall!

I attached a strip of double sided sellotape to the bubblewrap side and started the peel of the backing paper, pushed it down behind the radiator and then pulled the backing paper off once it was in place.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    You will need to cut verticals to allow for the radiator
    brackets, then if you want re-seal with silver
    sticky tape.
  • jonny2510
    jonny2510 Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    so do you have foil -> bubblewrap -> Cardboard, or
    foil -> cardboard ->bubblewrap?

I'm more bothered about trying to heat this FREEZING solid walled house that save money, but if it can do a bit of either I'l be more than pleased :)
  • 4$£&*(£$&*(!
    Options
    I got some pre-made stuff from Wickes, it goes foil-bubblewrap-wall. Made a big difference to the house, bit more resilliant than foil but £18 (that did the whole house though).
  • beer2006
    beer2006 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The way I did it where I had space, was bubblewrap, cardboard, foil....... radiator.

I used PVA glue from Wilkinsons (cheap) and stuck them all together.
    Mine, even if I say so myself are a work of art, all made to fit exactly, some with little lips at the top to come over the windowsill and hold back the curtains. And the radiator next to the fridge, has one with a flap on the side to keep heat away from the fridge and the fridge had foil over the part of the rest of the side, stuck on with magnets.
    I know, but it is the only place the fridge will go.

The only thing I have had problems with, is keeping the panels against the wall where they have room to move. I didn't want to stick them with tape as I may want to sell the house one day. I used bits of cardboard to start with, but they tend to fall out, so I now use toilet roll centres at the tops, but its not ideal.
    “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment, pain of love lasts a lifetime.”
  • echo
    echo Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Options
    cant find owt on the wickes site under insulation about bubblewrap or radiators
  • 4$£&*(£$&*(!
    Options
    echo wrote:
    cant find owt on the wickes site under insulation about bubblewrap or radiators

It's not on their website I'm afraid, you have to go in store and it's along the same section as loft insulation (2 years ago I got my loft insulation from them - buy 2 rolls get third free, I needed 16 rolls, did whole house, 3 bedrooms, for about £70 including delivery of the stuff!)
  • beer2006
    beer2006 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have a local one, just go in, they should have it in stock, or ring before to make sure. I don't know how much it is, but what I think it is on the screwfix site, seems cheapish, or expensive, they have a few different ones, I'm not sure which is best.
    Search for insulation on screwfix.
    “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment, pain of love lasts a lifetime.”
  • echo
    echo Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Options
    cheers.have looked but i dont really know what i'm looking for.plus you need a car to get to all the diy shops from where i am.was planning on telling my dad what i wanted and asking him to get some but i aint paying a fortune.i'm off to his house now so i'll have a look @ his screwfix book.
  • 4$£&*(£$&*(!
    Options
    I've checked Screwfix online - it's £6.99 but you only get a 5 metre length plus postage on top. You'll get more at Wickes for that, give them a phone call but from memory it's about £18. That did my whole house - 10 radiators.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure