Sneaky Sky tactics or just paranoia?

Options
Recently Sky wrote to inform us that we are no longer covered for any repairs or faults with our Sky equipment. But help is at hand, we can take out some kind of insurance with them - roughly £10 per month I think, although the letter made its way swiftly to the recycling bin so I can't be precise.

Shortly after this we started having problems with our Sky+ box. We've never had any problems before, and yet now a large amount of our recorded/saved programs have mysteriously disappeared along with some series linked programs.

Maybe this is just a coincidence but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this sudden onset of faults after failing to take out cover with Sky?

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    paranoia......
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like the start of a PSU failure on the box,you can get these repaired for around £30 (sticky at top of board) or pay Sky £65 for a replacement reconditioned box.Is your current box a Thompson as they are notorious for this fault.
  • albionrovers
    albionrovers Posts: 2,028 Forumite
    Options
    What Spike said. I had the same. No signal on loads of channels etc etc. Wife hitting the dish with a broom made no difference. I bought a new PSU for 20 quid of Yabe and fitted it myself, all sorted. Fitting intructions are on Utoob.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    or phone sky and tell them the box isn't working.

They'll say they can send an engineer for £65

You say - forget it, just cancel my subscription if that's how unreliale your gear is.

They'll say "oh, ok, just this once we can send an engineer at no charge" (they might possibly say "ok, fine, we'll cancel it", but you can always pick up a new sky sub in your partners name!) :cool:
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    By the way, the letter would not have been from Sky, it would have been sent from a company giving you the impression it was SKY,

Loads of them about, you'll probably get more and will certainly get more when the next anniversary of when its due next year.

Ring them, tell them you cant afford it, threaten to leave, they will do it for free. Ive had them do it twice (been with them for years ) for free
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport