PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dairy free, soya free baking

Options
Hi everyone, I need to bake something to take tomorrow to a picnic, but I want to make it dairy free as there are a couple of people who can't tolerate dairy (one who can't tolerate soya either). I was thinking either cookies/biscuits or muffins.

I have an almost full tub of Flora White in my fridge (my MIL gave it to me) and I've read that's dairy free but not sure what I could make with it? I've never used it before. Any ideas?

I have a lot of baking supplies and I'm a fairly competent baker, so please feel free to suggest things. :beer:
Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365

Comments

• Flibsey
    Flibsey Posts: 579 Forumite
    edited 26 August 2011 at 8:11PM
    Options
    Cornbread, but using water instead of milk or replacement milks. We use either lactofree, oatley or rice milk depending on what we have.

225g fat; must be a solid fat so butter, marge, lard etc.
    225g plain flour
    225g polenta; I like fine cornmeal... less annoying crunch in the middle of your cornbread.
    1tbsp baking powder
    125g caster sugar
    2 large/3 small eggs
    475ml milk (don't attempt this with soya milk, it's disasterous; but oat works and doesn't taste wierd, rice milk is also good too)
    1tsp salt

preheat oven to 180 dec C.
    put fat in a largeish, medium deep tin and shove in the oven to melt as the oven is heating.
    put flour, polenta, salt, sugar and baking powder in a bowl and mix. break in eggs, add milk and mix again. pour in melted fat and only mix to combine. if you leave it too long, the fat will solidify in clumps so beat well as soon as it goes in.
    pour back into the same tin
    stick in oven until golden and when a skewer inserted comes out clean.

Freezes amazingly well. works well as muffins too, a friend of mine adds hard-fried, crumbled bacon to the dry ingredients to make breakfast muffins. She recommends finely chopped jalapenos too but I've not tried that.

it can be eaten savoury or sweet, hot or cold. my lactose free family love it.

thankfully, unlike other dairy free marges, flora white is stable at high temperatures and also contains sunflower lecithin as a stabiliser/emulsifier instead of soya lecithin. I've not tried it myself.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 August 2011 at 10:00PM
    Options
    My dd has recently become dairy intolerant so it's early days for us. However, over the last three weeks i have made all sorts of cakes and biscuits just by using 'Pure' diary free sunflower marg (instead of my usual stork marg) and if the recipe calls for milk then i have used 'Alpro' soya milk' if your friend can't have soya milk then try cooking with 'rice milk'. Both of these can be found easily in all the supermarkets.

Also if it calls for chocolate in the recipe then i use the diaryfree chocolate bars in the 'free from' sections in asda or tesco. These things are all more expensive than what i would normally pay but it's a small price to pay for a little bit of normality for my dd and to make her happy
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll find some helpful recipes in our The Complete Cooking Collection listed under healthy eating.

And you may pick up a few good ideas from this thread list:- dairy free threads here on Old Style MoneySaving
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Flibsey
    Flibsey Posts: 579 Forumite
    Options
    kippers wrote: »

Also if it calls for chocolate in the recipe then i use the diaryfree chocolate bars in the 'free from' sections in asda or tesco. These things are all more expensive than what i would normally pay but it's a small price to pay for a little bit of normality for my dd and to make her happy

asda's own are wonderful.
  • SilverBird_2
    Options
    kippers wrote: »
    ... using 'Pure' diary free sunflower marg (instead of my usual stork marg)

Stork margarine in packets (not in tubs) is dairy free and costs less than 'Pure' so saves money. I use the packet Stork margarine for all my cakes, scones and biscuits - always get good results. For the fat element in pastry I use half packet Stork and a bit less than half Trex. HTH.
    #Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain #We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us #If you focus on what you have left behind, you will never see what lies ahead - Gusteau/RatatouilleGC 2022: £0/£2,500 total spend
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure