Tracker Recommendations

Options
Hi, I want to open a ISA Tracker, can anyone Recommend some funds and where to buy please?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    can anyone Recommend some funds

That is a regulated activity and as such cant be done on the board. Discussion and comment is fine. Advice is not.

Most of the main regions have trackers. How many trackers do you want? Will you be using unit trusts/OEICs or ETFs? How frequently will you be buying? What sort of value are you looking at with purchases and value?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • pitza
    pitza Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    That is a regulated activity and as such cant be done on the board. Discussion and comment is fine. Advice is not.

Most of the main regions have trackers. How many trackers do you want? Will you be using unit trusts/OEICs or ETFs? How frequently will you be buying? What sort of value are you looking at with purchases and value?
    I was thinking of keeping it simple and low cost with one ISA UK 100 index tracker to drip feed into monthly with £200 for the long term, 10 years plus , I had L & G, Scottish widows and M & G in mind but then I found that HSBC has the lowest costs (HSBC FTSE 100 Index Fund (GB0000412477) TER 0.27%.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    pitza wrote: »
    I was thinking of keeping it simple and low cost with one ISA UK 100 index tracker to drip feed into monthly with £200 for the long term, 10 years plus , I had L & G, Scottish widows and M & G in mind but then I found that HSBC has the lowest costs (HSBC FTSE 100 Index Fund (GB0000412477) TER 0.27%.

£200pm into one fund sounds like very bad investing to me. You are also choosing the worst index to follow with the FTSE 100. Why the FTSE 100?

I think you need to do much more research.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HSBC doesn't have the lowest costs, those are around 0.1% for the Blackrock trackers. But the HSBC ones are readily available at Hargreaves Lansdown and I suggest that you start out by using those there because paying HL commission is cheaper initially than paying the annual charge for options liek Skandia that let you have access to the Blackrock ones.

I agree that one tracker isn't a good choice. If this is long term you should really have some global tracking, including some emerging markets tracking.
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there such a thing as a single fund which tracks several different indices?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    TCA wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as a single fund which tracks several different indices?

You can get multi-asset passive funds but typically they cost a little more than single sector trackers.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure