🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Npower Sign-Online 23 vs Eon SaveOnline 9

Options
qxt123
qxt123 Posts: 56 Forumite
Hi Guys,

I've been on a few comparison sites to see which tariff I should switch to when my current SaveOnline 2 expires on the 31 August.

Its between Npower SO23 and Eon SO9, being £146 and £159 more expensive than my current annual cost respectively.

So that's potentially Npower being £13 cheaper, but I also need to factor in these potential points:

o I could get an extra £40 saving switch to Npower via Quidco.

o Npower's cancellation fee is £40 versus Eon's £30 for both fuels (uSwitch aren't particularly clear on this, stating Npower's per fuel penalty)

o Eon don't give discounts on final bills but this is potentially 'fixable'

o There is something on Npowers terms about an extra £105 yearly discount for being with them a year. Can anyone confirm if this discount is included in the price quoted by the comparison sites, otherwise Eon wins hands down for me! :eek:

o There was recently some scepticism about Eon's SaveOnline 9 prices being 'too good to be true' and talk of them possibly either decreasing discounts or pushing prices up later on. Can I ask, why does the SaveOnline 9 tariff seem to be the only tariff exempt from the October price rises and whats moneysavers views about the SO9 tariff?

o I've been with Eon for two years and their service has been flawless, but have no idea what Npower is like? Ive seen a few post who have bad words to say about Npower so whats the general consensus?

Would appreciate some feedback...

(fwiw, the cheapest fixed deal was scottish power at £179 more expensive - anyone think a £20-£33 extra cost is worth the fix?)

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ride the variable rate down using SaveOnline 9, then fix with FixOnline 10 or 11. Thus spake Zarathrustra Pincher.
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    edited 22 August 2011 at 8:51AM
    Options
    qxt123 wrote: »

o There is something on Npowers terms about an extra £105 yearly discount for being with them a year. Can anyone confirm if this discount is included in the price quoted by the comparison sites...

I can't answer precisely because you don't say which comparison site, however I can give a guarded answer. Consumer Focus rules say a discount paid within the comparison period (typically 12 months) are included in (i.e. discounted from) the headline cost. NPower pays the discount on the last day of the 12 months, hence qualifies to include the discount in the comparison.

You may notice that NPower also factors in the discount to calculated monthly payments (unlike Atlantic which doesn't, thereby making Atlantic a nice little 8% earner on margins).

A warning I add for the benefit of others - beware "deferred discount" tariffs if you do not understand the circumstances the discount may be forfeited.

Commonly tariffs from NPower and Atlantic feature "deferred discount".
  • natman
    natman Posts: 507 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I've been on a few comparison sites to see which tariff I should switch to when my current SaveOnline 2 expires on the 31 August.

Its between Npower SO23 and Eon SO9, being £146 and £159 more expensive than my current annual cost respectively.

Would appreciate some feedback...

(fwiw, the cheapest fixed deal was scottish power at £179 more expensive - anyone think a £20-£33 extra cost is worth the fix?)

Hi,

I was in exactly the same position as you.
    I had saveonline 2, which expires and have changed to save online 9.

My theory....
    I have been with EON for around 4 years and they have always been very helpful and their customer service has been very good in the past.

The main thing is to get switched from online 2 to a competative deal -
    With EON you can switch a number of times to other eon products with no penalty, therefore leaving eon was a big consideration for me. and not one i wanted to take on lightly.

In the news people are saying energy prices have reduced over the last few months, fixing may not be a great idea.

My thoughts - save online9 is competitive, to choose this now and assess the situation and look at fixing on an EON plan later would be my option.
    SAVEONLINE9 prices will not be increasing in September.
    :rotfl:
  • qxt123
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it. It looks like thats what I'll do then: move over to their SaveOnline 9 tariff and take it from there.
  • george1939
    george1939 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it. It looks like thats what I'll do then: move over to their SaveOnline 9 tariff and take it from there.

N power the price you pay is a true price should you still be with them after 12 direct debits you are given £105 back [no catch] and it is not included in the the comparison chart amount
    Should you also let the comparison site transfer you to N power you can receive a further £34 cash back 'or more' depends on which comparison site you choose Payed into your bank account when the transfer is all sorted. My own observation N power [Good friendly customer service] [free phone] Easy site to submit readings 'any time' or phone.
  • qxt123
    Options
    george1939 wrote: »
    N power the price you pay is a true price should you still be with them after 12 direct debits you are given £105 back [no catch] and it is not included in the the comparison chart amount
    Should you also let the comparison site transfer you to N power you can receive a further £34 cash back 'or more' depends on which comparison site you choose Payed into your bank account when the transfer is all sorted. My own observation N power [Good friendly customer service] [free phone] Easy site to submit readings 'any time' or phone.

How do you know this for certain, may I ask? The two comparison sites I've used so far are energyhelpline and uSwitch, but given they're Ofgem accredited, they should all give you the same results, as these two do for me?

It would be nice to have the £105 as a bonus discount in addition to the quoted annual quote, rather than a way of keeping you tied into the contract for 12 months. If I dont stay with them for 12 months they're still (currently) cheaper than Eon and if I do end up with them for 12 months, £105 is a nice little reward. Almost seems to good to be true...

The only way I'll know for definate is to phone Npower and ask them to clarify. I'll post back with what they say. :)
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    ellatimms wrote: »
    Have you looked into utility warehouse?:j
    You are a known spam moron.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • george1939
    Options
    How do you know this for certain, may I ask? The two comparison sites I've used so far are energyhelpline and uSwitch, but given they're Ofgem accredited, they should all give you the same results, as these two do for me?

It would be nice to have the £105 as a bonus discount in addition to the quoted annual quote, rather than a way of keeping you tied into the contract for 12 months. If I dont stay with them for 12 months they're still (currently) cheaper than Eon and if I do end up with them for 12 months, £105 is a nice little reward. Almost seems to good to be true...

The only way I'll know for definate is to phone Npower and ask them to clarify. I'll post back with what they say. :)

The bonus you get after 12 direct debits knock that off the quote [this then shows you how much the fuels really cost] if you are signed for a fixed term its nice to receive it after 12 months I will receive mine June the 10th. It was the same when I was with Atlantic Why [B]should [/B]you receive the £105 and not stay for the fixed term .That is only fair. Not only was my fix the cheapest in May [fix 5]without the £105 back. Now I just wait until June 10th for my confirmed £105. I am very happy with their service to me ie short wait on phone obliging staff prompt response I can only speak on how the staff are with me any problems they write and phone me and also, early this month I received my £34 cash back straight into my bank account
  • qxt123
    edited 29 August 2011 at 11:20PM
    Options
    george1939 wrote: »
    The bonus you get after 12 direct debits knock that off the quote [this then shows you how much the fuels really cost] if you are signed for a fixed term its nice to receive it after 12 months I will receive mine June the 10th. It was the same when I was with Atlantic Why [B]should [/B]you receive the £105 and not stay for the fixed term .That is only fair. Not only was my fix the cheapest in May [fix 5]without the £105 back. Now I just wait until June 10th for my confirmed £105. I am very happy with their service to me ie short wait on phone obliging staff prompt response I can only speak on how the staff are with me any problems they write and phone me and also, early this month I received my £34 cash back straight into my bank account

I still haven't managed to get on the phone to Npower to confirm if the comparison tables's prices include the £105. If it is, then IMO I see this as nothing more than a penalty for leaving early - stay with us for a year or else you lose £105. If it is in addition to the quoted price, then all is good.

The problem I and others have is not with them offering £105 for the 'loyalty' of staying for 12 months, its that they (potentially, haven't confirmed yet) include this discount in the comparison tables to get their tariff to the top.

PS: don't know what it was like when you signed up, but you could have got more going via Quidco rather than clicking through.

EDIT: I just popped some figures into Npowers own website which showed that the price Im being quoted does indeed include the £105 discount factored in, and is not something in addition to it (to be expected really, as no way could Npower pull off a tariff ~£100 cheaper than Eon SO9. Now that confirms what I've been thinking, I'll stick with Eon SaveOnline and ditch Npowers dasterdly way of promoting their tariffs. £105+£40 cancellation fee - I don't think so!
  • george1939
    Options
    I still haven't managed to get on the phone to Npower to confirm if the comparison tables's prices include the £105. If it is, then IMO I see this as nothing more than a penalty for leaving early - stay with us for a year or else you lose £105. If it is in addition to the quoted price, then all is good.

The problem I and others have is not with them offering £105 for the 'loyalty' of staying for 12 months, its that they (potentially, haven't confirmed yet) include this discount in the comparison tables to get their tariff to the top.

PS: don't know what it was like when you signed up, but you could have got more going via Quidco rather than clicking through.

EDIT: I just popped some figures into Npowers own website which showed that the price Im being quoted does indeed include the £105 discount factored in, and is not something in addition to it (to be expected really, as no way could Npower pull off a tariff ~£100 cheaper than Eon SO9. Now that confirms what I've been thinking, I'll stick with Eon SaveOnline and ditch Npowers dasterdly way of promoting their tariffs. £105+£40 cancellation fee - I don't think so!

It is not factored in MY WORDS [rest assured] [Your words the price Im being quoted does indeed include the £105 discount factored in, and is not something in addition to it] It is something you do get in ADDITION to it REST ASSURED BUT IT IS YOUR CHOICE AND SO NPOWER DO PULL OFF A TARIFF £100 CHEAPER IV'E NEVER HAD IT SO GOOD and more so with fix 5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport