New wireless router can't connect to AOL, any help please?

Options
We've been with AOL for years (though we are going to change very soon) the original thomson speedtouch modem they gave us stopped working, well the wireless stopped so we've been using cables. We bought a TP-LINK TD-W8901G adsl router and have just tried to install it, but when it gets near to the end it says it has failed to connect to the internet, check the settings. Now Hubby is unsure of our username and password so he just put admin admin (as said in the instructions), is this the problem? Do we have to ring AOL to get the username and password or is there another easier way to get this new modem to work? Really dont want to ring AOL unless we have to as I can forsee it will be a nightmare trying to explain to someone in India our problems, but if we have to I suppose we can get our MAC code too. If anyone can help with installation though, would be great.

Comments

• spannerzone
    spannerzone Posts: 1,549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 August 2011 at 6:40PM
    Options
    You need to log into the modem router's menu then apply your AOL log on username and password and possibly some other settings............

Full setup info:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/AOLsetup.htm

To enter the modem router settings type this into your internet explorer/firefox address bar:

http://192.168.1.1 (or just click that)
    enter: admin for the username and password (this is the username and password to enter the modem router setup menu)
    Now you should see the menu of the modem router where you can enter the AOL screen name and password as per the link I gave earlier.

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
  • manda1205
    manda1205 Posts: 2,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 August 2011 at 7:20PM
    Options
    Thanks for that Spannerzone but I still cant get it to work, its telling me to check the WAN connections and the network connections too.
    The reason I got this modem was cos in the reviews other people said they were with AOL and wanted a better connection and they said it was so easy to do. Grrrrr.
    Have just been googling, do you know if MSE or malwarebytes will be interfering with this in anyway, do I have to turn them off while Im trying to install the new modem?
  • spannerzone
    spannerzone Posts: 1,549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 August 2011 at 2:41PM
    Options
    Hmm... ok, it's best to have one pc connected to the modem router using a wired network cable and not using wireless to set it up - doing this should show a network connection is established between your PC and the modem router.

I see there's a youtube video on setting up this modem router:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fILJOLzGVN0

Have you viewed this and tried it? that's using their supplied 'easy setup' CD, the alternative is to manually set it up (not too hard) by opening Internet Explorer web browser (not AOL browser) and clicking on: http://192.168.1.1 to access the setup menu as I mentioned previously... can you try this and report whether you can access the setup menu of the modem router?

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
  • manda1205
    manda1205 Posts: 2,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Spannerzone, I should have got back to you, I asked over on hotukdeals and seems I had the wrong username and password. Ive got it all sorted now and just incase anyone else ever searches or asks on here, the username is [EMAIL="yourphonenumber@dialbb.com"]your phone number@dialbb.com[/EMAIL] and password is aol123. Works brilliantly now. Thanks for all your help though. :)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    admin+admin are the router's web interface login details. Your AOL login detail are the ones unique to you tha enable you to connect to the WAN.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport