How do I stop buying rubbish?

124»

Comments

• Don't give yourself a real hard time over it. Just try to learn what it is that makes you spend on things you don't really need. We are lucky not to be in debt but are self employed and sometimes it is a real struggle. If you deny yourself all pleasure you start to want them all the more. Prohibition doesn't work. My big thing was books. I love books but I buy very few. I use the Library. I can order online any books I have seen advertised that are of interest and the staff know me and my taste and will now put aside any books that come in that they think might be of interest. When my son was small we used to go to loads of free events at the library and if there were health promotion campaigns on there were even snacks. I didn't ever go down the well known burger chain route. A "happy meal" often consisted of a packed lunch with pieces individually wrapped like little presents ( who cares if once in a while they eat the flapjack before the sandwich) and maybe a small surprise toy that came free with something or was picked up in a charity shop. His pals loved coming for a picnic with us because they would get the same. Boredom can push some people into shopping. Crafts are a good way of dealing with boredom. Loads of craft books in the library ( for all abilities) and ideas on MSE. Crafts are great with kids and some kids aren't allowed to make a mess at home so, invite them round to you and they'll think it is a real treat. If it is going to be really messy do it in the garden or the park. So, as well as a store cupboard a craft box is good. Old envelopes are great for drawing/painting/cutting up etc. White ones have nice coloured patterns inside. Save bits of string, bits of fabric ribbon etc and buy some glue in the pound shop. Environmental charities often have groups where they hold craft days etc. which are free. Their main agenda is recycling rather than saving cash but they have some great ideas. One local group has free children's books in their shop. Trish Kuffner has some great "Busy Books" for children which you could get from the library. Also get the MSE books from the libraries. Try and walk as much as you can. Fresh air and exercise make you feel better and sleep better and if you have had a good nights sleep you realise and odd fall from grace is not the end of the world it is a valuable lesson. Try and have a "takeaway" in the freezer. Homemade curry & frozen rice (or whatever is your takeaway thing) can be zapped in the micro when you can't be bothered to cook. Above all you are not alone. There is a huge wealth of knowledge and advise on here to help and encourage you. I'm usually "lurking" and I apologise for rabbiting on. Best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure