PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

found a cheap way to clean my bath and sink

Options

Comments

• Bananabelly
    Options
    frightening isn't it :eek:

The last time I tried to investigate what the chemicals did our skin I was freaked out and ceased. I think I read stuff that was written very forcefully, cult like anti chemicals. I like to draw my own conclusions and not have it rammed down my throat :mad:

If anyone knows of any decently written info about what chemicals do to our skin I would be appreciated. Likewise info on how to keep our bodies clean OS before chemical meddling?

David Suzuki has written about this http://www.davidsuzuki.org/issues/health/science/toxics/dirty-dozen-cosmetic-chemicals/

He is a highly respected scientist and a balanced author, but a lot of it is still very frightening! There are formaldehyde-based products, carcinogens, etc. The website is a little north-american biased, but still quite relevant for the rest of the world.
  • greenkingster
    Options
    This sounds fantastic, and I too will try it on the grouting! Does anyone know where to find the good, old fashioned, green soap bar. Sometimes called Fairy, Sunlight or Household soap. It is pure soap and much better for getting stains out if you rub before putting in the washing machine.:(
  • maxamilllion
    Options
    In reply to article link - sorry cant post links yet

Good luck trying to find a cosmetic or household cleaner without any of thiose ingredients in, espcially if your moneysaving. I work in the industry (more industrial but simular products) and we are heavily regulated by all sorts of legislation. We cant just launch any product without doing saftey assessments first. The article doesnt mention the concentrations of the ingredients which may cause harm
    Ben84 has got it spot on. Its not all about whats in there, it about the concentration.
  • Cinders2001
    Cinders2001 Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This sounds fantastic, and I too will try it on the grouting! Does anyone know where to find the good, old fashioned, green soap bar. Sometimes called Fairy, Sunlight or Household soap. It is pure soap and much better for getting stains out if you rub before putting in the washing machine.:(

I'd normally find this kind of soap in our indoor market.
    Or an ironmongers of they still exist.
    Some small shops still like to hold it though.

....or ask on your local Freecycle!! :D
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • Cinders2001
    Cinders2001 Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    When we were small my dad made us used washing up liquid instead of bubble bath because he said it kept the bath clean. Looks like he may have been right.

Me too! :D
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • sproggi
    sproggi Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Congratulations on making it into the email :T

I am going to give this a go, I have the residue of DD1's pink
    bathbomb around my bath and it is being rather stubbon.

Re household soap, if you cannot find it in a shop near you, both ebay
    and amazon have listings for it.
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Yahoo, hurray! Thanks for sharing.
  • greenkingster
    Options
    :j Thanks Cinders2001 and sproggi - very helpful suggestions. Who would have thought of looking on Amazon for household soap!
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A good place to look for peer reviewed scientific studies on chemicals used in cosmetics is pubmed.

There is a lot of scaremongering out there regarding cosmetic ingredients, so it's always wise to read peer reviewed scientific studies rather than websites that proclaim loudly that "parabens cause cancer!!!!" or "propylene glycol is used in anti-freeze!!!"
  • tanyalbeck
    Options
    maybe you can help me... why does my bath tub stain? I often use a citric acid rinse for my hair and it makes the tub orange (not the sink, not the hotel shower cubicle,a not my sister's tub - just mine!) and henna washed out stains it instantly. the surface feels kinda 'matte' rather than glossy/smooth.

I end up having to bleach it all the time as everything stains!! Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    tanya
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family