Does your home have a CO detector?

Options
CO (carbon monoxide) is a poisonous gas which you can't see and can't smell!

CO is released when fuels are burnt, it can leak into a room when the flue is partially/totally blocked or if the flue/appliance is faulty.

Headaches and nausea (not attributed to drinking with Andrea in the Arms) may be the first symptoms that CO is present in the air.

We've had CO detectors since 1994, when they were first commercially available. One is fitted in the lounge (where we have a gas fire) and the other is in the kitchen (where we cook with gas).

The CO detectors we have are electrically powered and give a visible green/yellow/red light indication and buzzer alarm. The detector needs to be replaced after five years of operation.

They are not cheap and you can probably buy cheaper detectors now. If anyone is interested in the model/manufacturer of our detectors, let me know.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.

Comments

• Galstonian
    Galstonian Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Options
    I have some cardboard CO detectors - they are coated with some kind of chemical that changes colour if there is sufficient CO in the air. Much cheaper in the short term but they don't last forever.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You pays your money and takes your choice. Your cardboard version will show if CO has been detected but it relies on you regularly inspecting it.

The CO detectors in my home have coloured lights (green, yellow and red) and a warning buzzer which sounds if the CO level rises above 100ppm.

Levels of 400ppm are life threatening after 3 hours.

Levels of 800ppm will result in death within 2-3 hours.

So......this winter, if you have headaches, tiredness, dizziness and nausea, don't assume that you've got the flu, it could be CO poisoning causing these symptoms.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Let's all be safe in our homes.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm sure that gas suppliers provide battery powered detectors at discount prices
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have those cardboard gas detectors in our house, but i am sure you have to change them on a regular basis, and i am afraid ours are a year old. Kick up the backside for me and Mr Judi i spose :-[
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yeah got mine , I'm a bit of safety maniac ;D

I used to have a radon gas detector at my last home because of where it was built , all the home around there did. :)
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When we got a new boiler fitted the British Gas engineer fitted one free. (BG fitted the boiler).
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i got one from argos, approx 32quid but is smoke and co detector, seems very good, keep meaning to get one for upstairs to replace the normal smoke alarm, u can never be too carefull
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    When we got a new boiler fitted the British Gas engineer fitted one free. (BG fitted the boiler).

It would have been a good moneysaving tip until you said that BG fitted the boiler.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure