We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Npower to raise energy prices

Options
2»

Comments

• MillicentBystander
    MillicentBystander Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2011 at 7:25PM
    Options
    grn.w.nv wrote: »
    We're also on Sign Online 22, can anyone satisfy my curiosity and explain how we managed to escape the rise? I realise that Sign Online isn't a fixed or capped deal, and the T&C's say that prices may rise during the 12 month contract.

SOL22 and 23 are only guaranteed to be 2% below standard rate but at the moment appear to be way way more cheaper than that. There's nothing stopping them increasing the tariff until it really is just 2% cheaper than standard. Plus if you then flee to pastures new due to the rise and you haven't served your 12 months on the tariff you miss out on the £105 annual discount paid in arrears. You may get away with the exit fee, though.

It seems like these 'guaranteed to be x% less than standard' tariffs are the new weapon in the energy company's armoury. Snare you in with a huge discount on standard rate then....
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VT82 wrote: »
    Quick question though - as British Gas were the first to hike, and all the others that have announced seem to have followed one month after each other, does that suggest it's the same order they will start to lower their prices once the reduction in wholesale costs filters through?

No. If anything it could be the other way round. British Gas have the most customers so they can usually get away with rising prices first. The same logic implies that if anything they'd lower prices last.

Also, these companies have complex wholesale purchasing and selling contracts, so it could be that one company had bought forward a lower amount and could afford to drop prices sooner.

Bottom line is, switch to the lowest priced company at all times.
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • davidgmmafan
    davidgmmafan Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    grn.w.nv wrote: »
    We're also on Sign Online 22, can anyone satisfy my curiosity and explain how we managed to escape the rise? I realise that Sign Online isn't a fixed or capped deal, and the T&C's say that prices may rise during the 12 month contract.

If I had to guess I would say its because if you compare SOL22 to earlier versions of SOL its pretty cack, it only looks decent now in light of the price rise. The prices for online tariffs have been creeping up for a while which makes sense as they are the ones with the lowest margin I believe.

These views are mine not NPower's (which is kind of obvious as this is MY account not NPower's)
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Zaksmummy wrote: »
    :D No change for us for now as on Sign online 22, phew.

I've been on signonline 8 and 18 (or something like that...), on both I've had a letter a month or few into it to increase the respective tariffs. I almost hate that the deviousness that is Npower is still the cheapest for me, yet they are so I stay with them (signed up for gofix6 just before they scrapped it)

ETA: I worked out my usage and the fix was ~ £10/20 more than going on SOL22. Figured it would be worth it with predicted rises..
  • NittyGritty
    Options
    i,m currently with atlantic and npowers sign online 23 is by far the cheapest for us, even more so now that we know its not affected by the price hikes, we currently pay 22.491p per kWh (day) 15.099p per kWh (day) above 900 kWh p.a 6.258p per kWh (night)

npowers sign online 23 is the unit rates are 30p per day standing charge, 11.22p per kWh (day) 4.39p per kWh (night)

overall a saving of over £150
  • NittyGritty
    Options
    tho i am surprised sign online 22 and 23 were not affected by the increases tho
  • Zaksmummy
    Options
    loracan1 wrote: »
    I've been on signonline 8 and 18 (or something like that...), on both I've had a letter a month or few into it to increase the respective tariffs. I almost hate that the deviousness that is Npower is still the cheapest for me, yet they are so I stay with them (signed up for gofix6 just before they scrapped it)

ETA: I worked out my usage and the fix was ~ £10/20 more than going on SOL22. Figured it would be worth it with predicted rises..

Yes I was on SOL 18 before it got discontinued and quickly made the move to SOL 22, think the difference to me was something like £6 dearer, so have been waiting for their price rise which is why I am pleasantly surprised. Probably will go up in near future but for now I am happy bunny. ;)
  • Chef1980uk
    Options
    quick question. Currently on Npower Sign online 16:

Jan 11 - May 11 | first 3377Kwh at 12.750p = £430.57
    Standing charge 144 days at 7.100p per day

Best deal offered is to switch to a fixed for 16 months (go fix 7) tarrif:

23.384 p for the first 182 kWh per quarter, and 9.639 p thereafter.

Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb – 882 units charged at primary rate per month
    Mar – 272 units charged at primary rate per month
    Apr, Oct – 271 units charged at primary rate per month
    May, June, July, Aug, Sep – 46 units charged at primary rate per month
    Annual total – 4572 units charged at primary rate per month.

Would i be saving anything?
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just checked with the energy helpline and I am still with the cheapest provider with npower at the moment so I will look again in October when the rises touch down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport