Kitchen fitting (B&Q)

Options

Comments

• jfinnie
    jfinnie Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just had a B&Q Select kitchen fitted. The fitting was done by a fitter recommended to me by my plumber (he'd just done my plumber's kitchen), with plumbing by plumber and electrics by electrician.

B&Q wanted £2700 to fit (before they surveyed, I've no doubt it would have actually been more once they came round). In-toto wanted £3200 for a smaller version of the kitchen (with less parts) - so I don't think B&Q are the most expensive for fitting.

My fitter cost me £900, plumber £200 and electrician £550 including materials - so wost case that's a saving of £950 (or almost 40%). The fitter did a super job - actually a carpenter by training - including some custom bits of splashback/end panels cut into wacky shapes to cope with our walls & ceilings.

However, I did have to manage it myself, and I was lucky to be confident the people I was employing to do the job were up to the grade. If you don't have access to a good network of trades it can be pretty difficult - and in these situations I think places like B&Q with their "guaranteed" installations have something to offer. At least you have some pretty good recourse, and the option of having paid by credit card (able to pursue a claim under section 75) should all go wrong. Not many tradesmen take credit cards!

Swings and roundabouts!

James
  • Ichbfree
    Options
    I want to fit kitchens for B & Q and wondered if you have a contact for me? Any advise will be appreciated.
  • Ichbfree
    Options
    I want to fit kitchens for B & Q and wondered if you have a contact for me? Any advise will be appreciated
  • the_installer
    Options
    sunstarrr wrote: »
    We are having our kitchen totally redone, it's a very small kitchen (2.4m x 1.4m). Quote from B&Q was £1500 for the units/appliances.. we thought this sounded ok - it includes integrated washing machine, electric oven, gas hob, hob chimney, new sink, taps, worktop, 8 units, and new flooring (we are keeping our existing fridge/freezer)

BUT......... for our tiny kitchen they quoted us £2700!!! for fitting. Ridiculous, no? Especially considering that this charge does not include extras that we will need e.g. swapping round the position of the washing machine & cooker. It also includes a £77 charge for moving our freestanding fridge/freezer out of the kitchen during fitting, and moving it back into the space in the kitchen afterwards! Think I can move the fridge myself actually!!!!

Suffice to say that we are NOT getting the kitchen fitted by B&Q, although we are ordering the units & appliances from them we are getting a local handyman to do the fitting....

We normally charge about 40% less than B&Q direct to the public
    (this is what B&Q pay us)
    Regards. The installer
  • carlos88_2
    Options
    I dislike b and q as a companey. depised them infact. for my own jobs i encorage customers to chose products else where. i cant stand it when batches are wrong or deliveries are late and im waiting to do a job.

For fitting b and q charge a hugs amount. This money is lost in the heirachy though. If i was paying 45 - 55 pounds per meter for tiles i would want one of the guys who trained me to do it, not me. but then i dont get that because b and q take most of it, pass a little onto my boss (so he claims poverty!) and then i get a rate that is pretty rubbish. but then im still training, a bit slow and have to correct my mistakes. so thats been ok for me for a while, but its not good enough for a customer paying 45 per meter! anyway i will leave soon becasue the plastering is rubbish and they keep provieding too few tiles. what surveyor that costs 50 for a visit cant figure the area of a wall plus 10%? useless. ive had 2 in 10 customers vow to never use b and q again. so look elsewhere is my advise. a rubbish employers who take advantage. Once they have your money you will see that return custom isnt a central part of the b and q plan.
  • dajb135331
    Options
    Hi im in upminster essex and will be buying a kitchen this summer from b and q.I wont be using them to install because they are a rip off.I am going to get a few quotes from independent fitters and if your hubby is still a fitter i would like to know.
    thanks,Dan
  • dajb135331
    Options
    Hi im looking for an independent kitchen fitter to fit a b and q kitchen.B and q charge too much for whats involved.The previous kitchen was fitted by me.I will put all the units together so the fitter will just have to hang the wall units and screw the base units.The kitchen is 14ftx8ft.I will have 2 posibly 3 wood worktops 3m lengths.I need the corners cut with a jig and a sink cut out.There are no integrated appliances and i am having a free standing cooker.I live in upminster Essex.If you would like to quote me please pm me.cheers,
    Dan.
  • dorme
    dorme Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    getting a non shed kitchen fitted (incl sink, units, worktops, oven, hob, extractor, new Consumer unit, 3 moves of plugs, tiling) for around 900, b&q wanted more for the materials i have got and £2000 installation.
  • mehera
    mehera Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    I would not get B and Q to install an electric toothbrush if I were you!
    I was going to put the name of my plumbing business here so you know what I do should I give out any advice plumbing wise - however apparently I cant do that - go figure!!!!!
    New signature - I am a Plumber (I am just not allowed to tell you!)
  • jonnyb1978
    jonnyb1978 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tbest wrote: »
    Have a look at We Will Beat Any Quote, they offer high quality kitchens, kitchen appliances and kitchen accessories for extremely affordable prices - wewillbeatanyquote.com

:money: Spammer:spam:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport