Kitchen fitting (B&Q)

Options

Comments

• janet6267
    janet6267 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Janet,

Ours is a very similar size to yours, and similar work to be done. We are choosing to put back our install as we are getting new combi boiler in first, then kitchen to be done! look forward to hearing how you get on!! Also had the surveyor out last week, he seemed very knowledgeable and was very helpful re: where things could and couldn't go due to pipe location etc.... I must admit, I still can't help but think it would be alot cheaper to get local in... but with no one recommended... We picked the chocolate oak units - altho the area is small, it's very light and we are only having units on one wall. The other side is having a breakfast bar. Let me know how you get on!

Linda

xxx
    Hi Linda

I will do, we have been really pleased so far. The surveyor we had was also really good, he suggested alternative ways to fit things, managed to get the wine rack I wanted by moving something else. Also explained things and answered all my questions. I will keep you posted.

Janet

xx
  • danger_mouse_2
    Options
    Scoobs72 wrote: »
    It's my understanding that this changed a few months ago and all fitters are now in-house (from Rok Group, part of B&Q parent Kingfisher).

not true of Middlesbrough store, cant say for others tough.
    Friend of mine who is fitting our kitchen next week takes on some odds and ends from B&Q to top up the work he has on.
  • dev_manoj
    Options
    I'm trying to put up my kitchen, and got a quote from a local kitchen fitter...I'm not sure this quote is reasonable
    My kitchen is about 880m square.

Remove old fittings & new Ceilings & Electric works related to spotlights - £1000
    Floor tiles+ with a plywood on the floor - £450
    Wall tile + Fitting all kitchen units + Wiring on switches - £2000

In total around £3450........does this sound reasonable ????? This is only labour charges, does not include appliances & kitchen units
  • janet6267
    Options
    Hi Janet,

Ours is a very similar size to yours, and similar work to be done. We are choosing to put back our install as we are getting new combi boiler in first, then kitchen to be done! look forward to hearing how you get on!! Also had the surveyor out last week, he seemed very knowledgeable and was very helpful re: where things could and couldn't go due to pipe location etc.... I must admit, I still can't help but think it would be alot cheaper to get local in... but with no one recommended... We picked the chocolate oak units - altho the area is small, it's very light and we are only having units on one wall. The other side is having a breakfast bar. Let me know how you get on!

Linda

xxx
    Hi Linda

Just a quick update before this thread gets lost!!
    So far so good, kitchen all delivered first thing in the morning on the correct day, looks like it is all here. Had a phone call from B&Q today reminding me the fitter's are coming on Monday and they would be with me between 8am and 9am. I am told it will take 5 days. I will keep you posted.

Janet x
  • Bishop_Basher
    Options
    Fitting kitchens is a relatively simple operation.
    Is kitchen fitting a 'trade?' I don't think so.
    For me, as a Joiner with over 20 years experience these so called trades are just another part of a joiners job.

Quite often the guys who only fit kitchens are not joiners and as such don't have that background experience
    The best 'kitchen fitters' are or were joiners.
    In wood we trust.
  • woodbutcher_2
    Options
    Just like to point out to Inspect that his comment of joiners and carpenters not being kitchen fitters is a load of old tosh.Kitchen fitting is just one of the things i do as a joiner and quite frankly probably the easiest.It aint rocket science to a decent joiner.

My next comment is to say that last week i fitted a B&Q kitchen that a customer had bought for £4700 and it is the biggest pile of crap i have ever come across.Loads of stuff missing and been told minimum 4 weeks to get it.To add insult to injury my customer was charged £5 delivery to get the worktop edging strip(4 week wait) that should come with the worktop.End panels that are not big enough for the job,instructions that bear no resemblance to the parts,no end of stuff damaged and worst of all,doors and pelmets bowed beyond practical use.Pathetic.Never fitting another.
  • Bishop_Basher
    Options
    Just like to point out to Inspect that his comment of joiners and carpenters not being kitchen fitters is a load of old tosh.Kitchen fitting is just one of the things i do as a joiner and quite frankly probably the easiest.It aint rocket science to a decent joiner.

My next comment is to say that last week i fitted a B&Q kitchen that a customer had bought for £4700 and it is the biggest pile of crap i have ever come across.Loads of stuff missing and been told minimum 4 weeks to get it.To add insult to injury my customer was charged £5 delivery to get the worktop edging strip(4 week wait) that should come with the worktop.End panels that are not big enough for the job,instructions that bear no resemblance to the parts,no end of stuff damaged and worst of all,doors and pelmets bowed beyond practical use.Pathetic.Never fitting another.
    Amen to that.
    In wood we trust.
  • bunchyno2_2
    Options
    Im a sub contractor, and i used to fit their worktops for them i e granite quartz timber or solid surfaces, and i found some of the so called craftsmen even the subbies couldnt fit a kitchen level even if their lives depended on it.
    But il bet those idiots still get he work in these harder times while the people who take pride in their work continue to struggle
  • Glasgowkiss84
    Options
    janet6267 wrote: »
    Hi Linda

Just a quick update before this thread gets lost!!
    So far so good, kitchen all delivered first thing in the morning on the correct day, looks like it is all here. Had a phone call from B&Q today reminding me the fitter's are coming on Monday and they would be with me between 8am and 9am. I am told it will take 5 days. I will keep you posted.

Janet x

Hi Janet, Just spotted this!!

Glad to hear everything has arrived as it should have. By now I guess the install has been done? How did you find it? Is everything ok & to your standard?

We booked our install for December (by choice) no long now!

Linda
    x
    Sealed pot challenge - 561
  • madjay
    madjay Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    I am at the moment in the middle of fitting my B&Q kitchen and I have not had any problems. All the material came at the same time. Woodbutcher your comment of “pelmets bowed beyond practical use” was this because of being badly stored in the client’s house. And the comment of parts missing is this because clients that have a “supply and install” kitchen do not check what has been delivered. As for instruction…. If you do this for a living why do you need them….its not rocket science. There is one think I have found while installing my Kitchen is there is parts that were ordered but do not needed….. Which makes me think all those of you who are having your kitchen fitted how do you know you need all the parts.

My Sister had her B&Q Fitted took Three weeks and at the end there were still parts she had it wait for…
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure