Reasons to be cheerful

Sarah75
Sarah75 Posts: 13 Forumite
edited 23 August 2011 at 5:30PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hello everyone,

I know that you'll understand when I say that although I'm dealing with my debt and finally feel confident about the future, there are still days when I feel miserable that I let myself get in this state. I also know that many of you feel the same way so I thought it might be useful to have list of reasons why we should be feeling better about ourselves. So I'll get started.

Reasons to be cheerful #1: We are living within our means.

This is the first time since I started working (14 years ago!) that I am spending less than I earn every month. That's got to be a good thing.

So who's next? :)

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]
Long Haul Supporter No: 278 :p

Comments

• topcat9
    topcat9 Posts: 102
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Reasons to be cheerful *2: I never lie awake at night worrying about money these days.

First good night's sleep I'd had in months was the day we signed-up for our DMP.:)
    LBM August 2007
    Amount Owed £101,068.35 :(
    Amount Owed March 2012 £13,449.16 :)
    DFD October 2013
  • Reasons to be cheerful #3 - I've finally realised and accepted that more taking on more debt won't ever help me be debt free (only budgeting and paying things off will :))
  • #4 - not scared of the phone or the postman!
    DF :grin:
  • #5 - finally feeling like a grown up! (in a good way)

#6 - being able to take the moral high road with any creditor that calls!!

Gx
    Mortgage at 08/10/10: 110k:eek:
    Current Mortgage:... £109,200 :eek:
    OPs 2011: 100.50/4000
    Current MFD: 02/10/45 :shocked: (will be 63!!!)

Make a payment a week challenge TW 100/123.79
  • #7 - Seeing the numbers go down instead of up (in my case down from a terrifying £53,000 to the current £18,000)

As well as all the others reasons 1 to 6.

Great thread, OP. It's good to focus on the positive!!
  • No8. Spending time with the kids doing free fun stuff rather then dragging them round the shops!
    Only the Mortgage to go!!!
  • Smamfer
    Smamfer Posts: 2,472
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No 9

Reason to be cheerful,

After ignoring a debt from a buy now pay later i called them explained a bit of hardship yesterday and they offered me 50% reduction so i cleared it in full and felt lighter straight away
    ~~Gonna Buy Me A Shrimp Farm Bubba~~
  • ampafc
    ampafc Posts: 614 Forumite
    Lovely thread :)

#10. knowing that after a certain day of the month passes (in my case the 1st), I am free to do with my money what I wish as all payments and repayments are made.
    Getting married to a wonderful lady on August 10, 2012.

Need to save up, lose weight, reduce my money worries and get back to being the real me! :j
  • DizzyDizzy
    DizzyDizzy Posts: 170 Forumite
    OK slightly off topic and a bit sentimental but...

11# Everytime I look at my kids I am grateful to have two happy healthy kids..... So yes we have to scrimp a bit 'til the DMP is finished but compared to others I am very very lucky ....
  • I agree with Sarah in that it feels great to spend less than I make and save some for retirement.

#12 - I have a loving family that has stuck with me through thick and thin. I am healthy and full of energy, that's definitely something to be happy about as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure