Best stocks and shares ISA thread?

Options
THere used to be a thread on here discussing best stocks and shares ISA - I've been searching for it for a day and cant find it !

Can anyone point me to it?

(or does anyone have their own recommendation?)

Have always filled my cash ISA but never done S & S and feel now might be a good time to start with the markets relatively low ....?

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think its totally impractical to have a "best S&S ISA" article as what is best for one person is not going to be best for another.

e.g. do you want one that focuses on funds, one of direct assets, one with charging unbundled, one with investment analysis included, one with online trading etc etc.

There used to be an article on structured products through ISAs but we managed to persuade the site to pull that as none of the advisers or experienced investors here agreed with it.
    Have always filled my cash ISA but never done S & S and feel now might be a good time to start with the markets relatively low ....?

Remember that the S&S ISA is just a wrapper. A container for the investments you place inside of it. That doesnt mean you have to put stockmarket based investments in it. Its the same as a pension (and other tax wrappers). The wrapper/container is just an administration and tax thing. The investments you put in it are something different.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Found what I think you're looking for:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3153942
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • nearlyretired2004
    Options
    I think by 'best' I probably meant 'cheapest' !

I am REASONABLY financially savvy and understand all your points about the ISA itself just being a tax wrapper - thanks

I hold some S & S outside an ISA - mostly freebies from former employments! (as well as jumping on the CAD petroleum bandwagon...!!) and also have a SIPP which I'm drawing on with CoFunds via L & G ( I rely on my IFA to advise me on movements in the funds annually)

I think what I'm probably looking for is a tracker, because I dont think I'm skilled enough, or enough of a gambler to pick individiual stocks/funds

As I said, with the markets in a bit of a lull, just seems like the right time to jump in ?
  • nearlyretired2004
    Options
    That was indeed th thread I was thinking of ..... (your post crossed with my last one replying to Dunston)

will now have to study it and see if it gives me any answers!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    when you said thread, I was thinking MSE article for some reason. Rather than a forum thread!
    I think by 'best' I probably meant 'cheapest' !

i dont think that way any more as there is nothing more frustrating than wanting to do a transaction or find information out to find their website slows down when busy or is constantly closed at weekends for upgrades or that they only offer commission paying investments and not non-commission paying ones.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure