MSE News: DVD to computer copying to be made legal

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
36 replies 3.7K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Millions of people already transfer files to a computer or MP3 device, wrongly assuming it is legal ..."

Replies

• jamespirjamespir Forumite
    21.5K posts
    good news at last didnt realise it was illegal though oops
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • Gazman321Gazman321 Forumite
    100 posts
    About time the government came up with some sense !!! I didn't know it was illegal either, thought you were legally allowed to do that.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been ripping CDs to MP3 since 1999, I did actually know it was illegal but just didn't care. I guess I knew i was doing nothing morally wrong and the police have bigger crimes to solve.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017 :T
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017 :j
    Started third business 25/06/2016 ;)
    Son born 13/09/2015:kisses2:
    Started a second business 03/08/2013 :D
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012 :beer:
  • free4440273free4440273 Forumite
    38.4K posts
    excellent news . next: file-sharing ? :rotfl: ;)
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS :cool:

THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:
  • I knew it was illegal and I just didn't care.
    There's no sense crying over every mistake.
    You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
  • DCoddDCodd Forumite
    8.2K posts
    A lot of people knew it was illegal but the copyright owners did not want to enforce it, especially when MP3 players came as downloading the file to your computer from a CD or iTunes or such like was legal but copying it onto the MP3 player from yout PC was technically illegal.
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
  • MasterPJMasterPJ Forumite
    227 posts
    Personal Use Collection for Sale (I promise to never use the originals) ...just kidding :D

This is good news. Though we are only at the beginning and I suspect a direction implementation is not as easy as it may first sound.

For instance...how will this relate to rented games? Rented Music? Can you make a copy there - as this would only be for personal use...
  • There's a big difference between illegal and unlawful.

In a democracy there is not (supposed to be) any difference between the government and the people. If all the people are doing something then it's not unlawful no matter if some outdated statute says it's illegal. The will of the people make the law. I note even the report said that if 90% of the population is doing something then obviously it's a stupidly pointless statute.

People seem oddly happy to forget that the government is not here to rule over us, it is here only to administer us.

I've recently learned to start ignoring statutes I don't consent to provided it doesn't harm anyone; and stand under my common law rights of lawful rebellion to do so without committing any offence. It's about time the sheeple woke up and applied their inalienable rights, which no statutes can ever over-ride.
  • DCoddDCodd Forumite
    8.2K posts
    If all the people are doing something then it's not unlawful no matter if some outdated statute says it's illegal. .
    The thing is that this dosen't always work in reality, all the people would never be doing it for one but take the PRS, they use this legislation for stopping people listening to radios in the work place if more than one person can hear it.
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
  • John_GrayJohn_Gray Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure the above defence would be much help for a speeding ticket (for example).

Clearly the "no copying of music to a second medium for your own use if you had already paid for the music on a different medium" was simply there because of lobbying by the music copyright organisations. Much like the (suggested?) additional charge on cassette tapes (remember those?!) because they 'assumed' that people would use them for copying music from off of someone else!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support