Sex Education

I have been thinking long and hard about this due to a number of posts by people who's daughters or sons through one reason and another are about to be parents.

When is the right age to discuss this with your children; my darling and very pretty eldest DD is turning 8; she is from my first marriage and i am now in my second marriage and had our other perfect dd.

Now she has a girl in her class who has also had another baby come into her family but her mother seems to have explained the complete ins and outs of how this child has arrived.

My own DD has just said i know it comes from you but step dad put it there etc.

Whilst I have brushed it off when is the right time to bring it up? My parents left it to the school when I was 10? I just feel they are so more switched on now and dont want it being taboo or another statistic, thanks x

Comments

• emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    I think it depends on the child. I grew up on a farm so sort of the got basics of conception etc from the stock :rotfl: :rotfl:

DD had not really expressed any interest until I was pregnant with DS (she was,and in fact still is, 7! 8 in 2 weeks!)

TBH I would neither "bring it up" nor "brush it off" I answered her questions as age appropriately as I felt I could as and when they arrived! :D
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Now!

In fact, several years ago, but you can't do anything about that.

At 8, your daughter could be starting puberty at any time, she really needs to be equipped with all the information about what that entails so that she can understand and deal with it.

I suggest this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Usborne-Facts-Growing-Adolescence-changes/dp/0746031424/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312148389&sr=8-1 as a starting point, if you read it first it will help her understand the facts and help you figure out how to explain it to her.
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    emsywoo123 wrote: »
    I think it depends on the child. I grew up on a farm so sort of the got basics of conception etc from the stock :rotfl: :rotfl:

DD had not really expressed any interest until I was pregnant with DS (she was,and in fact still is, 7! 8 in 2 weeks!)

TBH I would neither "bring it up" nor "brush it off" I answered her questions as age appropriately as I felt I could as and when they arrived! :D

This was my plan - however DS never asked - even when I was pg with dd when he was 8!! When we dud try to bring it up he gets almost hystecially saying he doesn;t want to know, crying, shouting and putting his hands over his ears, running off etc etc. He;s now 13 and we have tried books (he throws them away or refuses to read them), my, step dad and his dad all trying and are at a loss!!

DD knows the basics from various animal situations - why does the ginuea pigs have babies but the chickens eggs, why are there no chicks in the eggs etc etc. She knows how babies get out - cue much discussion with her freind when she told her her sister came thru a cut in her mums tummy! And that mums have little eggs inside that dad helps turn into a baby. She knows mummies have periods and that she will when she is older.
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    When my son (age 6) asked "why does my willy go hard", I passed him over to Dad for an explanation.

Coward, me...
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    mrs_marty wrote: »
    My own DD has just said i know it comes from you but step dad put it there etc.

Whilst I have brushed it off when is the right time to bring it up? My parents left it to the school when I was 10? I just feel they are so more switched on now and dont want it being taboo or another statistic, thanks x

If she's trying to bring it up, then I would say that's the right time to answer her questions. Brushing it off may give her the impression that it's not something to be talked about.
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    onlyroz wrote: »
    When my son (age 6) asked "why does my willy go hard", I passed him over to Dad for an explanation.

Coward, me...

dear God, I think I need a book :eek: :eek: :eek: :rotfl:
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    My parents were a little old fashioned so they never explained anything to me.
  • Person_one
    Tropez wrote: »
    My parents were a little old fashioned so they never explained anything to me.

How did that pan out for you?

OP, I can't remember a time when I didn't know what sex was, where babies came from, the proper names for the main 'private parts', and so on. I didn't go on to become a teenage parent, just to reassure you that knowing all the facts doesn't result in wanting to put them all into practice!
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Person_one wrote: »
    How did that pan out for you?

It doesn't appear to have panned out too badly.

The important stuff we were taught in school, repeatedly, anyway.
  • Person_one
    Tropez wrote: »
    It doesn't appear to have panned out too badly.

The important stuff we were taught in school, repeatedly, anyway.

School sex education is really hit and miss. If I'd only had the school provision I'd have known all the mechanics at 10 but never have heard of female orgasm!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure