How much did you waste?

Options
I made the stupid mistake of letting DH go Christmas food shopping on his own(a new baby thing), now he is the kind of man who sneaks food into the shopping trolly when I am not looking.

I have just had a look in the fridge at all the cheese we didn't eat, the tubes of pringles I am sending him back to work with, the chocolates etc etc.

I can't be the only one......I reckon next year we only need to worry about Christmas day, boxing day and new years day food...all the other stuff. Not worth the bother.
Oh....I'm not going to lie to you......At the end of the day, when alls said and done......do you know what I mean.........TIDY

Comments

• dumpy
    dumpy Posts: 520 Forumite
    Options
    We were quite good this year, we did a shop of £37 on the 23rd and a top up shop for £20 last weekend which will last us till Saturday of this week. Which included loads of washing powder as it's on offer at the moment with a 50p off voucher for a future shop. Not bad as I had OH in tow and he is another throw it in the trolly person.... ggrrrrr

We didn't buy any boxed sweets/biscuits/pringles etc, Just bought for a normal week (it did help that we were on our own this year, I'd have felt more pressured if the family had come. Next year is our turn, so I'll probably have to do something extra in the nibbles department)

I did sucumb to a couple of bars of aero mint and a couple of boxes of after eights but I bought them on offer using my coop vouchers so free really.

Could be better but could have been a lot worse, and nothing got thrown away.
  • saubryn
    saubryn Posts: 610 Forumite
    Options
    We had the opposite problem. We bought for a 'normal' shop, because we knew we would end up getting chocolate, biscuits, and other 'snacks' with Christmas presents. We did, so we haven't gone short on snack type stuff, but we under-budgetted on things like milk / bread / sugar. The local stores have been picked clean of everything, and we're facing a trip all the way into town in foul weather to stock up on that kind of stuff.
    DFW Nerd No. 140 :)
    Status as of 30/11/12
    [strike]Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800[/strike][SIZE=-2]:j IF - 8000 :(British Gas - [strike]112[/strike] - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500[/SIZE]
  • november
    november Posts: 613 Forumite
    Options
    We did quite well this year (much better than last year which included us ending up with 3 large tins of chocolates among other things although they didn't get thrown away :o )

Only threw away some satsumas which had gone mouldy - the large bag was the same price as the small bag :confused: so while it was a waste of food it wasn't a waste of money.

We only bought as extras a large tin of chocolate biscuits (50% free offer) and a tin of crackers (that was an offer too but I can't remember what). We knew we were getting a tin of chocolates as a present which did the kids and I bought 2 after eight boxes for me on buy one get one :D
    I live in my own little world. But it's okay. They know me here.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Al_Mac wrote:
    I'm sure I read that 41% of Christmas food is binned!

I shouldn't be at all surprised.

We went to Waitrose on Saturday looking for German wine from the area we visited last week (it tends not to figure in 'special offers' or be very widely-advertised) and while there I saw a woman with six 400g French bread sticks in her trolley. These are what the French call 'le pain' (the bread) because they're so staple to them, but equally, they're best eaten the same day, so unless she was having a party.... DH has just brought in a complete 400g bread which he says was sticking out of next door's dustbin still in the Tesco wrapper, we've sawn it up and thrown it out for the birds.

Birds need feeding - I don't regard it as waste, giving bread etc to the birds. Also any meat or poultry scraps - the foxes will be delighted.

The way we were brought up, wasting any food at all was a cardinal sin, the stalest bread could be used to make bread puddings, but once our generation has gone, people have a different attitude to waste.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    I did well this year, we kept the fridge limited and freezed the rest so if it was needed it came from the freezer, instead of loading the fridge and not being able to eat it all in time....
    There are some nuts and chocs left but the kids will see to that!! xxx
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • kathyd_2
    kathyd_2 Posts: 529 Forumite
    Options
    We 'fayred' very well this year with the food. All meal leftovers from Christmas day we had as bubble and squeak the day after boxing day. The leftovers from yesterdays meal we are having re-heated for our evening meal today. I have a box of assorted biscuits unopened but OH is taking them into work tomorrow which will leave only a small box of mint thins left. They should be gone by the weekend. Nothing wasted.
  • play2day
    play2day Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    3 slices of pork pie went into the bin in our household. Every thing else has been or will be eaten.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    while there I saw a woman with six 400g French bread sticks in her trolley. These are what the French call 'le pain' (the bread) because they're so staple to them,

Margaret
    The French actually call them baguettes, ask for pain and you'll get much bigger loaves, as I once discovered to my cost when I ordered 4 of them in France :o

We usually get chocs, biscuits for xmas so I just don't buy in anymore, we were also out for Boxing day tea, so very little to waste, just some veg that I'd forgotten about.
  • Smashing
    Smashing Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Options
    You can freeze french sticks, can't you? And then crisp them up in the oven.

Did quite well this year, I think. One 1/2 joint of ham got chucked (reduced from £19.99 :eek: to £3) which was terribly dry and unenticing.
    Everything else got finished or frozen - just finished whizzing up the last of the stale bread in the blender and frozen them for stuffing etc.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    We gave a goodie bag of turkey to each part of the family who came for lunch, next year we will downsize again, we didn't throw any away.

I did throw away about half of 2 desserts from Christmas day so next year will only buy one. We are still using the veg we bought on the 23rd but that's not unusual, we keep it in the garage in boxes in the dark and it keeps for ages.

We didn't buy chocoates, got a couple of boxes as gifts which are still hanging around making it hard to get back on my healthy eating plan. I forgot to find the nibbles for tea so we have will be eating them for the next few weeks too.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport