What can i plant now?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
20 replies 2K views
raven83raven83 Forumite
3K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Hi, does anyone know what i can plant (veg, shrubs etc) now or in the next couple of months that will come up in the autumn/winter? I am a bit of a garden novice so any advice will be much appreciated! Thank you! :beer:
Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

Replies

• Sally_ASally_A Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not a lot really maybe a few salad crops, or if you have a green house some dwarf french beans.

Best to be tending and harvesting what you have at present.

I'm going to put some spuds in for Xmas dinner - not really hopeful, but I ran out of room for a few spuds, kept them back and they now have chits ready to roll.

Might sow a few chard seeds.

Other than that, my next serious planting will be garlic in late October to November.

A lot of herbs under glass or in the house can be sown all year round.

• raven83raven83 Forumite
    3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    thank you, is there any plants or flowers i can grow that will last the winter?

• valk_scotvalk_scot Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm currently putting in overwintering salads (raddichio, endive, corn salad, winter spring onions, chard), sowing spring cabbage and getting in a few catch crops like salad leaves, radish and hopefully some late french beans. In November I'll sow overwintering broad bean Aquadulce claudia and put in some garlic. That's about it though. It's a bit late to be starting off much else in winter veg tbh, though you might find some plug plants in the garden centre.

If you want winter colour, you could try the garden centre for winter pansies etc?
    Val.
  • Ken68Ken68 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still time to sow Kohl Rabi and turnips. I do them in modules to plant eventually where the main crop potatoes are. Even Swedes though they take longer to mature. You will probably have to buy in sprouting broccoli but a good cut and come again plant.
    Japanese onions too for overwintering. Lettuce also for inside.
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    26.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it too late to chuck in a last lot of carrots, do you think? Sheltered area in the Midlands, if that helps.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • is there any plants or flowers i can grow that will last the winter?

Violas, winter-flowering jasmine?
    3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    amcluesent wrote: »
    Violas, winter-flowering jasmine?

will they survive the frost?

• elsienelsien Forumite
    26.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violas and winter pansies are winter bedding, which I usually use in pots underplanted with spring bulbs. They will survive, but tend to sit there while it's cold, and get going again once the weather warms slightly.
    Winter flowering jasmine is lovely, but needs lots of room.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    elsien wrote: »
    Violas and winter pansies are winter bedding, which I usually use in pots underplanted with spring bulbs. They will survive, but tend to sit there while it's cold, and get going again once the weather warms slightly.
    Winter flowering jasmine is lovely, but needs lots of room.

Thankyou i will buy some of the above and get planting, when is the best time to plant them?

• elsienelsien Forumite
    26.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's too early to buy the winter bedding as plug plants, that's more of an autumn thing. I usually do mine mid october when I pull the summer bedding out. However if you want to try growing from seed, I think you could start now if you were quick and started them off indoors.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals