PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you buy a house near railway track?

Options

Comments

• Rain_is_Insane
    Options
    I lived oposite Rock Ferry Station for years and the same announcements used to ring out of the tannoy at least 20 times a day. Couldn't tell you what they said now though. You tune it out after a bit :)
  • MFW_10YRS_4
    MFW_10YRS_4 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    In our last home, the houses across the road backed onto a railway line. It was also a minor line and we hardly heard any noise and best of all the station was a very short walk away. I'd happily live near a railway line but only if the station was close by and I could actually make use of the line.
  • rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    We have live next to a railway for 16yrs hasn't bothered us at all, you just get use to it. You tend to notice it more when there are no trains. It a mainline to london.
  • Jazzie99
    Jazzie99 Posts: 289 Forumite
    Options
    We live four houses away from the Central line and it definately doesnt bother us. Hardly notice the noise. In fact our new neighbour who is closer said he found it soothing!

If i had to choose between road noise or train, it would be train every time.

Having said that i wouldnt want to be right next to a line or have it at the end of a garden, particularly with childern in mind.
    Friend Debt: 5,000/3,850
    2013 Start Mortgage: 306,585/306,585
    Overpayments: 0
    ISA Saver:
    £10
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to live by a railway track, it never bothered me at all.
    I'd go to bed at 10.00p.m in the week, get my book out till the 10.30p.m train had passed then I knew it was time to turn my lamp off :)
    never heard a thing in the night.
  • girllikeme1
    Options
    Our house (our first house, in fact!) backs onto the railway line, and it's a main line. To be honest, it doesn't bother us. I would rather live near a railway line than near a main road which is a constant source of noise.

Yes if you're in the garden and a train goes by, of course you notice it, but with double glazing and modern trains, it's not a problem.

If they are ever doing works on the railway you get advanced warning from Network Rail in the form of a letter.

Also it's nice having no-one looking onto your garden which is rare nowadays, and we have a bigger garden than other houses on our estate :). I would definitely buy another house in the same position.
  • girllikeme1
    Options
    ali-t wrote: »
    I lived fairly close to one and a friend of mine lived next to it and you end up just tuning it out. Even though I can tune it out, I don't think my dogs could and I would worry about them escaping onto the line if our garden backed onto the line. I would be wary if you were going to get a cat as it might not last long if it was an outdoor cat.

We have had our outdoor cat for 4 years and there's a train line at the bottom of the garden. The cats know when a train is coming - even we can hear the buzz if we're out in the garden! You see them walking along the embankment, but the minute a train comes along, the cats are well out of the way.

There are so many cats living along our street. People who live near a railway know this isn't an issue. Animals are smarter than you'd think!
  • tommie1shunt
    Options
    I would no problem, now a school, no way Jose
  • twirlypinky
    twirlypinky Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Options
    i live so close to a railway line at the moment that when trains go through the garden, if we're out there we wave at the and can often get a passenger to wave back. Once the driver honked!

It doesn't bother us in the slightest, it's not like years ago when they were really noisy, we don't even hear them now.

That said, I'm not keen on the noise the eurostar makes, i've heard that on train platforms before now and it's rather loud at each end. Luckily for us that doesn't run on our line.
    saving up another deposit as we've lost all our equity.
    We're 29% of the way there...
  • Starbrite
    Starbrite Posts: 947 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As others have said I lived by one as a kid, and loved it use to wave at the trains and jumped for joy when they tooted at as :)

Trains stop at 12.15 well thats when the last one leaves waterloo for me to get home unless I wait for the 5.30am one! I can't see trains running 24hours in my life time. Ah the memories of being in a club until 6am and catching the 1st train home and getting funny looks from people going out for the day....

But yeah I'd live by a railway line also you know noon will come from that direction to rob you, unless they are plain stupid....
    Aspiring to be financially independent.... from my parents!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport