PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mince quantity question (stretching and portion sizes)?

Options

Comments

• Beki
    Beki Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the PM :D And for the links too - i did a search for 'mince' but neither of those came up :( so you've done me a huge favour :)

Thanks again for that stew recipe - it sounds delish! xx
  • chivers1977
    chivers1977 Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    Options
    I use 100grm of mince per recipe for 2 adults and 1 child. Adding beans, lentils and veg bulks that out so that it is between 6-8 portions and freeze the rest. My last 100g of mince has fed us so far chilli con carne, enchiladas and I still have more left in the freezer which be used as chilli on baked potatoes! I use Costco mince which seems to taste more meaty and doesn't shrink so much.

Going to say my cottage pie has the same amount of mince in and was about 8 massive portions too with beans, lentils and veg too!

Hello to a fellow Kentish lady! :wave:
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
  • scuba_girl
    scuba_girl Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    I've started using beef mince in stir fries. I usually just add some veggies and cook with garlic and chillies.

Meatballs with a tomato sauce are another good way to use mince. I use onion, garlic and some seasoning to make the meatballs.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can make 450g mince padded with lentils and oats, stretch to feed 6.

I make a batch of chilli and freeze - extra kidney beans and sweetcorn stretch it further.

Lasagna
    Shep pie
    Mince bake Italienne (thick tomato bolog sauce put in a casserole dish with a white sauce layer on top and then buttered sliced bread (cut into 9 pieces per slice) put on top and baked.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 May 2009 at 9:14AM
    Options
    I use 100grm of mince per recipe for 2 adults and 1 child. Adding beans, lentils and veg bulks that out so that it is between 6-8 portions and freeze the rest. My last 100g of mince has fed us so far chilli con carne, enchiladas and I still have more left in the freezer which be used as chilli on baked potatoes! I use Costco mince which seems to taste more meaty and doesn't shrink so much.

Am I reading this right? ... you get 6-8 portions out of just 100g of mince???? :eek: That's less than a quarter of a standard sized pack!

Either our portions are far too large (no larger than would be served in a restaurant though) or you've made a mistake with your figures. I tend to allocate around 100g per person and I honestly can't see how on earth you could get 6-8 portions from that very small amount :confused:

I've just looked at the packet in my fridge and reckon if you really are making 6-8 portions out of 100g mince then each portion can consist of no more than a teaspoon of mince. There must be a hell of a lot of lentils and veg in your meals ;)
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    newlywed wrote: »
    I can make 450g mince padded with lentils and oats, stretch to feed 6.

That sounds far more feasible and I could manage the same if I added lentils too. My 400g usually feeds 4 adults without any added lentils, but does have veggies in it ;)
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • Gaia
    Gaia Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    scuba_girl wrote: »
    I've started using beef mince in stir fries. I usually just add some veggies and cook with garlic and chillies.

Meatballs with a tomato sauce are another good way to use mince. I use onion, garlic and some seasoning to make the meatballs.

I pad my meatballs out with bread crumbs (using up any stale bread I have). Not only does it bulk it out but it traps some of the juices you may lose in cooking :)
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." Anon.
  • Beki
    Beki Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Excellent - thanks everyone... some lovely ideas :) xx
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Beki wrote: »
    Thanks for the PM :D And for the links too - i did a search for 'mince' but neither of those came up :( so you've done me a huge favour :)

Thanks again for that stew recipe - it sounds delish! xx

Beki, searching mystified me for ages until I read Squeakys guide. Invaluable stuff ,check it out here x
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Beki,

Have a look at this thread for ideas on how much mince other Old Stylers use and for ideas on how they stretch their mince:

Mince quantity question (portion sizes)?

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport