Are any Groupon restaurant deals not a total rip off? (Rafayel on the Left Bank)

Options
I recently bought a groupon for a three course buffet at Rafayel on the Left Bank. What an absolute joke this was. The "buffet" consisted of three different choices, two of which were disgusting pasta with a few mussles in it. The other a lasagne that even I could have made better aged 2.

I don't understand how they called it a buffet.

What a total joke and rip off for something like £30.

Did anyone else experience this?

Are ANY groupon restaurant deals not a total joke?

Comments

• Suzanne_Louise
    Options
    We bought a restaurant deal through the Hull Groupon and it was fantastic!
  • Zedicus
    Zedicus Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Groupon is for mugs. :(
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had some great bargains through groupon but I don't buy restaurant deals anymore. I find these days most places have a special 'groupon' menu and therefore you aren't really saving anything. They should either let you order from the normal menu or not at all to be honest.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Zedicus wrote: »
    Groupon is for mugs. :(

Not really. I've saved hundreds of pounds and so far haven't had a terrible experience. Admittedly some have been better than others but i'd expect that anywhere.

The other day I bought a festival ticket with 60% off, was an awesome bargain!
  • Zedicus
    Zedicus Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Not really. I've saved hundreds of pounds and so far haven't had a terrible experience. Admittedly some have been better than others but i'd expect that anywhere.

The other day I bought a festival ticket with 60% off, was an awesome bargain!

Yes, I think I overreacted a bit there. You do have to be careful, though.
  • catmiaow
    catmiaow Posts: 5,954 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I brought a Groupon 2 course meal with a drink deal and it was well worth it. I think sometimes you can just tell whether the deals are really deals or not.
    No you're not a vegetarian if you eat any animal or fish, so do not insult genuine veggies by calling yourself one! :mad:

Thanks to everyone who posts competitions. You are the stars of the board :T:j:T
  • dianetheartist
    Options
    we had a 5 course meal for 2 people including a large glass of wine from The Village hotel in Solihull--was bloody fantastic--could only manage 3 of the courses though! Cost--£15 for the 2 of us.I bought another as a birthday pressie for my son in law-we all went together--stayed at hotel in Birmingham night before--£30 for both os us including breakfast and use of pool etc--then we went on to the new indoor crazy golf in Birmingham for just £7--then shopping and on to the meal---all through Groupon--one of the best weekends we have ever had!
    I might be crazy but I'm not stupid....
  • steven504
    steven504 Posts: 294 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The Groupon Deals are really not worth it. Get a tastecard, it works out almost the same price and you get to order from the proper menu and not a Groupon menu. You should be able to find most of the deals on Groupon somewhere else anyhow. So why bother with Groupon
    Lets not use quidco
  • mcduff16
    mcduff16 Posts: 498 Forumite
    Options
    I only use the restaurant deals for local restaurants I know and have been to previously. I`ve never encountered a special "groupon" menu and so all the deals i`ve done have been well worth it!
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    I do sometimes book restaurant deals through Groupon, but usually only places I've already heard of, and I always check against the restaurant's own website to see if the "amazing offer" is actually that good - often their normal prices are pretty much the same. It's easy to do a quick double-check!
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills