Do you play the lottery?

Question for people with debts looking to make savings, do you play the lottery? Even if you only have one go on the Wedsneday and Saturday draw, thats £104 in a year, £208 in 2 years etc, and the odds of winning are so astronomical. Do you play it?

Comments

• I used to, when I kept thinking that something would turn up & fix my debts. Now Im being realistic rather than optimistic, so dont play anymore except for a very occasional flutter, probably £2 in the last 4 months.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts :j
    Debt free date now [strike]Nov 2020[/strike] [strike]Oct 2017[/strike] [STRIKE]Aug 2016[/STRIKE] May 2011 at present rate
  • doodah
    doodah Posts: 531
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    very rarely, probably not even once a month!
    31/12/2006 £8395, 01/10/2008 £5089.73, 19/10/2010 £835.00 31/03/2011 £0.00
    Pigsback = £9.35 (£30 claimed), Quidco = £128.24 claimed
    Official DFW Nerd No. 264

Debt-free and Proud!
  • AndyR_3
    AndyR_3 Posts: 324 Forumite
    I don't play it, but just before christmas I parked in town and needed change for the machine. I only had a £10 note so bought a lotto lucky dip to get some pound coins. I won a tenner. So I've made £9 out of them, and I'm never gonna play again :D

My mum plays every week and if she wins she'll give me some anyway..so I don't need to bother :)
    Amazon sellers club - member number 63.
    January challange - sell 10 items. 0 down, 10 to go!
  • saubryn
    saubryn Posts: 610 Forumite
    In the past three or four years I think I've put the lottery on twice - both of those times were just because I was visiting someone who puts it on every week, and I didn't want to be sat there bored while they were watching the draw.

I think its a waste of money - except maybe if you just do it every now and then as a social / entertainment thing. Its cheaper to put a quid on each saturday and stay in to watch the draw than it would be to go down the pub, for example.

If you're putting it on for the chance to win, then you're a mug, in my opinion.
    DFW Nerd No. 140 :)
    Status as of 30/11/12
    [strike]Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800[/strike][SIZE=-2]:j IF - 8000 :(British Gas - [strike]112[/strike] - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500[/SIZE]
  • It is rubbish and it's good that we remind ourselves of this regularly. Only marginally worse than premium bonds IMO.

If anyone would like a copy of a spreadsheet that will show them how often they would have won with any particular set of numbers since the draws began, simply pm me your email address.

:)

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • AndyR_3
    Actually, I lie. Sometimes I'll stick a lottery ticket in a birthday card for someone - cheaper than buying a present and I like to think they'd remember me if they won the jackpot.
  • AndyR wrote:
    Actually, I lie. Sometimes I'll stick a lottery ticket in a birthday card for someone - cheaper than buying a present and I like to think they'd remember me if they won the jackpot.

Jeez, I couldnt do that, what if they won? I'd think if only I'd kept the ticket!
  • AndyR_3
    Jeez, I couldnt do that, what if they won? I'd think if only I'd kept the ticket!

If they won I would remind them who bought the ticket until they gave me a spare million or so. In fact, I'm not greedy. I'd settle for £500,000. If they were being generous they could give me the original pound back too.
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,071
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I stopped buying them ages ago ,got fed up rushing to get tickets at the last minute.
    Now and again i buy one for birthdays etc and don't get one number.
  • As a rule I don't buy them - I was in the "Lucky Bonus Ball" thing at work (lucky for who exactly????)- but my number only came up once and it was on a bank holiday week when we don't work - so they hadn't bothered doing it - was so miffed I stopped (that was 2 years ago) and haven't given in to the urge since.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure