Boiler servicing. Damsel in distress!

Hello there,

Apologies if this isn't the best place to ask this question! Please point me the right way if not! :confused:

I have lived in my home for 3 years and my Worcester 9.24 electronic boiler has never been touched. It is however now leaking! My uncle (a plumber) was called to the rescue, he has had a look and can't see any major issues but suggests it needs servicing. My property is ex council and I think the boiler is about 12 years old so I've no idea of its service history.

Would anyone know the best place to start looking to get this done and what I should expect to pay? As a young girl I wouldn't want anyone to take the mick! I don't have any boiler insurance or anything like that. My gas and electric is with Powergen.

Thanks in advance for any help. :D
Wandered away from the MSE track for a while but am back and on a mission! Debts cleared nearly £18k. Now to start saving ...

Comments

• You are looking at approx £68 plus vat to service a worcester combi boiler.
    PAUL-WOLVERHAMPTON
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    If it is leaking it is usually because of a fault and not lack of servicing.

If it isn't obvious to your plumber uncle, it presumably won't be something simple or he would have found it.

You now have the problem that many of us face - how to find a plumber who won't rip you off - especially at this time of the year. Ask friends if they know of a corgi trained plumber they can recommend.

You will be talking of £50 just to visit. Then labour and parts - if you get away under £100 you will have done well.

Good Luck
  • loumac
    loumac Posts: 942 Forumite
    Cheers both! I do appreciate the guidance.
    This is just what I needed right after Xmas.

Paul, if I get stuck is Wolverhampton too far?
    Wandered away from the MSE track for a while but am back and on a mission! Debts cleared nearly £18k. Now to start saving ...
  • Annando
    Annando Posts: 458 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    You could be very sneaky (Forget to mention your leak) and join British Gas for Boiler Insurance (costs £12/month), they come out and service your boiler, do an inspection and make any repairs necessary, should anything go wrong within the 12 months period the agreement is for they come out and repair it free of charge.

I had problems with my combi boiler, had plumber around, charged me a fortune for the repair and problems wasn't properly sorted. (Couldn't have heating and hot water on at same time...not really nice having cold showers in the middle of winter). Joined BG Heat Plan 100, the engineer came out, serviced the boiler and when I mentioned the problem he repaired it and told me it was a simple part that had broken and shouldn't have cost more than £10 to replace (I had forked out almost £200 to the plumber who hadn't repaired it!!! ARGH!!!).

Good luck
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Annando wrote:
    You could be very sneaky (Forget to mention your leak) and join British Gas for Boiler Insurance (costs £12/month), they come out and service your boiler, do an inspection and make any repairs necessary, should anything go wrong within the 12 months period the agreement is for they come out and repair it free of charge.

BG will not undertake any Boiler/CH service contract before they inspect the system and check it is all in working order and they will often refuse to take on very old systems.

They might not notice the leak of course.
  • loumac
    loumac Posts: 942 Forumite
    Hmmm... the leak's got worse over night so I guess they might notice!
    Thanks for all advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure