Help Explain My Water Bill

Options
Can anybody HELP explain my water bill, I have checked Severn Trent Website but no answer.

I have a water meter and am charged as follows

Water Supply
Water standing charge
Used water
Used water standing charge
Measured Drainage Band03

I know i have to be charged for water used but do not understand why im charged for water supply and used water :eek:

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Water supply is the water from taps etc.

Used water is sewerage - water from sinks, toilets etc draining into a sewer.

You pay a standing charge for both supplied water and used water(sewerage)

Measured drainage is because Severn Trent have made the assumption that water from your gutters and garden enters the sewerage system instead of going into a soakaway. You are being charges for being a detached dwelling(Band 03)

This latter charge(measured drainage) will be waived if you can prove to ST that your water from gutters etc does not enter the sewer system. If you search for 'Surface Water Drainage' on this forum you will find loads of posts.
  • AGP
    AGP Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.

Water supply is the water from taps etc.

Used water is sewerage - water from sinks, toilets etc draining into a sewer.

You pay a standing charge for both supplied water and used water(sewerage)

Measured drainage is because Severn Trent have made the assumption that water from your gutters and garden enters the sewerage system instead of going into a soakaway. You are being charges for being a detached dwelling(Band 03)

This latter charge(measured drainage) will be waived if you can prove to ST that your water from gutters etc does not enter the sewer system. If you search for 'Surface Water Drainage' on this forum you will find loads of posts.

Thanks for that, talk about robbery, think meter will go
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AGP wrote: »

Why is paying for what you actually use - "robbery" ?

Garages, supermarkets, shops, airlines, electricity, gas etc, etc all use this system why should it not apply to water suppliers ??
  • AGP
    edited 17 July 2011 at 10:52PM
    Options
    2 standing charges - i will pay for what i use i was just saying it will be cheaper to not have a water meter, only 2 of us and out at work all day no dish washer we dont have standing charge for gas or elec.
  • Cardew
    Options

Meter will not be removed!

If you had it fitted in the last 12 months you can opt to revert to charges based on the previous basis of Rateable Value(RV). However meter will remain in place.

Being detached you might just find you will be far worse off in you are not on metered charges.
  • AGP
    Options
    Yes i am aware of that, and yes i can revert back to being charged a yearly fee which will be less than we pay on the mtr
  • Cardew
    Options
    Yes i am aware of that, and yes i can revert back to being charged a yearly fee which will be less than we pay on the mtr

You must have a very low Rateable Value(RV) for a detached property to be charged less on that system than 2 people on a meter. Especially as you indicate you will use very little water.

What is your RV?
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    ~There is actually a very good reason the standing charge is now split. It use to be one charge (same amount as the 2 added together) but not every customer gets both supplies IE clean and used from the same supplier so they were getting double bills. OFWAT rightly said that was not fair so the standing charge was then split between the 2 serves so that everyone can be billed correctly
    So the long and short of it is one standing charge or two makes no difference to the actual amount of standing charge you pay in total.
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport