Yet more financial faux pas and many other disasterous decisions

Options

Comments

• moo2moo
    moo2moo Posts: 4,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Went to bed v. early this morning having watched the whole of the first season of Diary of a Call Girl and half the second season. Rather glad its not something I've watched with OH around as it would have given him lots and lots of ideas which would have resulted in a very disappointed little boy. Quaffed Amaretto on ice whilst scoffing the dregs of the x-mas choccies. Am now left with mini Cadburys fudge and Caramels which I detest so will donate them to the staffroom choccie bowl on Monday.

Plans for today involve much hole and crack filling, a spot of plastering to repair missing patches left from changing radiators, much more wall washing and a heck of a lot more detritus clearing before I can start painting, although I've still got to buy the paint and take the blinds down. Amazed just how big the kitchen is when its empty. Will see if I can find some cupboard space to get some more tat off the worktops in the hopes of keeping it a little tidier.

Have another pile of tat to list on E-bay at some point. Surplus stuff keeps materialising, mostly after free listing weekends have ended .... so I bung it somewhere safe until the next time and promptly forget just where that somewhere was.

Have lots and lots and lots of cross stitch stuff and no inclination whatsoever to do any of it. Whether I'll fancy it again in another decade is another matter entirely..... do I keep it all on the off chance or do I sell the lot, free up a vast amount of space and start over next time I'm interested? The space in question would equate to at least three giant stack and store boxes and a couple of drawers without looking too hard and theres probably £500 of stuff there most of which I inherited from other people but its not the sort of thing you can randomly cull because its boxes and boxes of threads in specific colours and to shift 10% would guarantee that I wouldn't have the colours I needed for the next thing I want to make, assuming I ever make anything again. May start with duplicate threads and linen and aida and see if I can make a small dent in it that way.
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    moo2moo wrote: »
    Amazed just how big the kitchen is when its empty. Will see if I can find some cupboard space to get some more tat off the worktops in the hopes of keeping it a little tidier.

I know what you mean. We ditched the dead combination micro yesterday and the space it freed up is a amazing. Resisting the temptation of moving something into the space as we will have to replace it - having a solid fuel cooker means it and a 3 burner camping stove is what we cook on in the warmer months :p

You seem to be on a roll. Sell some of that stitchy stuff - seems to go well on Eb*y - I sold some that I really was never going to get round to doing and was pleasently surprised :)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • moo2moo
    Options
    It would be nice to be able to say that today has been a very productive day but that would be a big fat whopper of a lie. I started off with the best of intentions and finished de-slime-ing the deep fat frier ready for burial at the back of the deepest darkest cupboard, I did a couple of loads of laundry, filled lots of holes and cracks and even painted a few bare bits of plaster that got missed last time we decorated. Then I sat on my derierre to scoff lunch and remained there for the rest of the day.

In fact I've been sat on my bum for so long that I've watched the final two series of call girl diaries, knitted 3/4 of a dead fish and thought about listing tat on fleabay, even going so far as to liberally spread it over the ironing board. Sadly I never got any further.

Going to spend the next hour photographing and listing anything worth starting in excess of 99p in the hopes of finding some enthusiasm to list the rest of it at some point later on in the week.

Have to say I've thoroughly enjoyed being a slovenly ho for a day. Couldn't go back to doing that every day without transforming into a suicidal train wreck.

Going to make sure I'm tucked up in bed before the commencement of the witching hour and will be wearing considerably more clothing than last nights rather fetching combination of fleecy pjs, jumper and knee high ski socks because its chuffing cold here especially with the hound from hell nicking considerably more duvet than is nice.

First though I need to put the deep fat frier into a cupboard in and clear some space on the surprisingly messy worktops in order to take piccies.
  • moo2moo
    Options
    Two very tedious hours later I've had enough of E-bay having only managed to list nine more lots of tat. Takes my total to 25 this weekend which fills three boxes... or empties three boxes if it all shifts. Have listed the cross stitch stuff that I'll definately never use just to see what happens. Haven't dared open the big storage boxes for fear I can't get the lids back on.

Going to have a very cheeky amaretto with frozen elephants before sauntering up to the boudoir to turf the hound off the bed before clambering under the mound of blankets in the hopes of a fabulously warm nights sleep. Must remember to set the alarm as I'm already in laid back holiday mode, tomorrow morning is going to come as a bit of a shock.
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you do know that you do more on your can't be arsed days, than i do on my busy days!:rotfl:
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • moo2moo
    Options
    Bleugh. Woke up cold again several times during the night despite sleeping in a thick tracksuit. Not that surprising though when the house is barely reaching 9 degrees and its hellish windy out so theres a gale blowing through the various air vents which are designed to prevent us suffocating whilst running the fires but really just suck all the hot air out of the place whilst funnelling arctic blasts in. Tis mornings like this that moving to a fully insualted fuel efficient new build are most tempting.

Still the winter won't last forever.

Plans for today are v. minimal in that I need to attend work hoping that boiler repair chaps show up first thing otherwise I'm spending the day boiling kettles in order to do anything. Need to fill a few hours with mundane end of term chores before coming home, sanding yesterdays filling, taking the hound for a ramble whilst the dust settles and then getting a coat of paint on the wals. Hoping that theres enough left in the bottom of the tin I found. After that theres a dead fish in need of a tail and week fives knited coat homework should be available which is jolly good since I've yet to start week three or fours homework. I forsee much knitting in the not too distant future.
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    Options
    chevalier wrote: »
    you do know that you do more on your can't be arsed days, than i do on my busy days!:rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl: I was thinking the same :eek:
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • ebayqueen_2
    ebayqueen_2 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Options
    Morning Moo

Sorry to hear you didn't get a good nights sleep. We filled in a lot of vents which made a great difference to the house but I know you can't do that when you have the fire. You might as well leave a window open with the amount of cold air that blows through them, but as you say winter won't last forever. We have been fortunate over here this year weather-wise but the winter is not over yet.

It must be great to get a few days on you own. Enjoy it Moo. Happy knitting.
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" :) C. S. Lewis
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Councils seem to be offering free insulation - cavity wall and loft - with british gas and its for everybody no circumstantial qualifications. Might be worth investigating. We have some calling this week to see what they can do.Most of the house is 3 or 4 foot thick stone walls but we have a very draughty extension ( not built by us!) which is cavity wall so we are hoping they can do some thing with that. worth an investigation if not done already !
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Knitting_Nora
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl: I was thinking the same :eek:

Me too!! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business