Customs duty

I'm planning on ordering a Gameboy Advance SP over the internet. It will be shipped from Hong Kong. I was wondering if anyone knows whether I will be charged customs duty/VAT on it? It is to be delivered to England. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ANDYPANDY
    ANDYPANDY Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I presume that it will cost more than £18 so the answer is yes! I am sure there are some parcels that slip through the net due to the declaration on it but I am never that lucky!
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Just a matter of luck it seems to me....I bought an iPod from the US and Customs ignored it! :)
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If you get them to tick the gift box on the customs slip then you whould be exempt from customs duty.

I have got people from ebay usa to do this and none of them have had a problem with doing it. :)
  • m00c0w04
    m00c0w04 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hmm, doubt they would let me send it as a gift when it's a company, it's not like eBay or anything :( Anyone know roughly how much duty/VAT I would have to pay if they made me?

Thanks.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,864 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    you would still have to pay duty on items over £36 even if marked a 'gift'

see HERE for details of duty rates etc
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure