Beware of Eon final bill when switching

Options
Just received a letter from y supplier Eon telling me that I'm about to be switched off my tariff that gives me 6% DD discount, 2% duel fuel and 17.40% online discount. I guess this is common amongst suppliers, however on investigating how to switch I noticed in the small print that if I do leave them then they will not apply any discount to my final bill.
So I make that in theiry an inflated bill by around 25%.
I presume I can get round this to some extent by switching on to one of their own open ended tarrifs, however even then I would lose the new online discount of 2% and I presume 6% direct debit.
Either way this strikes me as a cynical attempt to take me for more money when surely I should remain entitled to a full discount right up to the moment that I cease to be a customer.
I have posted here to warn anyone thinking of switching at the end of their contract as they may get a shock about the inflated bill.

Eon con artists? 10 votes

Yes
60% 6 votes
No
30% 3 votes
Not sure
10% 1 vote

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,642 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's nothing new and there are ways around it. Initiate a switch a week or so before your contract ends and you'll complete the contract so get full discount on your final bill. You'll then spend the minimum amount of time on their standard tariff.
    Alternatively, enter readings and request a bill before switching, then the lost discount on your final bill is kept small.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi chrisjug

You're absolutely right; we don't give discount on final bills when switching supplier except in certain circumstances.

As victor says, customers who complete fixed term contracts receive all the discount applicable to the tariff even if part of this falls within the final bill.

From your post, I suspect you're on Saveonline 2. This expires on 31 August 2011. If you time a switch to complete after this date, you'll receive all the Saveonline 2 discount as you will have completed the full term of the contract.

Hope this is useful chrisjug. Let me know if you need any more info as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • foreversummer
    Options
    Hi Malc

I'm on Saveronline 2 and I am considering switching to another tariff with you when it expires (not the default one). When should I phone to switch? I was planning to phone on 31st August. Is this the best time?

Foreversummer
  • magic57
    magic57 Posts: 736 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Thanks for the warning about the final bill.

I'm one of the many who will be looking to switch to a different tarrif after our Saveonline 2 expires.The one they are offering, Energyonline, is poor by comparison. If I can't find a better EON tariff we'll go elsewhere.

I'm also wondering if it is best to phone on 31st.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 July 2011 at 4:52PM
    Options
    Hi Malc

I'm on Saveronline 2 and I am considering switching to another tariff with you when it expires (not the default one). When should I phone to switch? I was planning to phone on 31st August. Is this the best time?

Foreversummer
    Once you get your notice informing you of the impending completion of the fixed period, I would have thought you could call them whenever to ask to transfer to another of their tariffs on the expiry of the current deal.
    You could confirm this during the call.

31st August is probably the worst time to plan to contact. Expect it to be very busy with those who failed to plan and are then panicing.

magic57 wrote: »

I'm one of the many who will be looking to switch to a different tarrif after our Saveonline 2 expires.The one they are offering, Energyonline, is poor by comparison. If I can't find a better EON tariff we'll go elsewhere.

To switch supplier takes a minimum of 4 weeks, so to be sure you don't get caught by a rapid switch, do not ask to switch until at least 4 weeks before the expiry.
    In the meantime, ensure the tariff you will be switched to for the few days after the expiry of the current deal has no early exit fees.
    If it does, initiate a transfer on the expiry date to a tariff that doesn't.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Malc

Foreversummer

Hi foreversummer

None of our current tariffs are as competitive as Saveonline 2; so you'll probably be better of delaying a tariff switch until nearer the end date.

The problem with delaying, though, is the products available today may not be on 31 August. We've no way of telling what we'll have available in 6 weeks time. I'm afraid, we agents are only informed of such changes at the same time as the public.

Sorry I can't be more specific foreversummer but hope this helps a little. Give me a shout if you need any more info as happy to help.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • foreversummer
    Options
    Hi foreversummer

None of our current tariffs are as competitive as Saveonline 2; so you'll probably be better of delaying a tariff switch until nearer the end date.

The problem with delaying, though, is the products available today may not be on 31 August. We've no way of telling what we'll have available in 6 weeks time. I'm afraid, we agents are only informed of such changes at the same time as the public.

Sorry I can't be more specific foreversummer but hope this helps a little. Give me a shout if you need any more info as happy to help.

Malc

Thank you for replying.

OK, so if I ring on 1st September and ask to switch to whatever the cheapest tariff is then, how long does it take for the switch to take place?

Foreversummer
    Options
    magic57 wrote: »

Hi magic57

Premier has already given excellent advice. Just to reinforce, make sure your switch completes after 31 August. That way, you'll receive all the discount applicable to Saveonline 2, even if part of this falls within the final bill.

The product you'll automatically be switched to after 31 August, EnergyOnline, doesn't have a cancellation fee. Therefore, the only real downside is the lost discount whilst the switch completes.

Hope this helps magic57. Give me a shout if you need any more info as will be happy to help.

Malc
    Options
    Thank you for replying.

OK, so if I ring on 1st September and ask to switch to whatever the cheapest tariff is then, how long does it take for the switch to take place?

Foreversummer

No problem foreversummer. Tariff switches go through immediately.

You can switch online through your internet registration or call us and we'll be happy to do this for you. Alternatively, drop an email to the address in my Profile if you prefer. Will be glad to help.

Malc
  • MsConstipatedPiggyBank
    MsConstipatedPiggyBank Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2011 at 11:23AM
    Options
    Hi foreversummer

Malc

I'm a bit concerned now as am in exactly the same position. My EON Saveonline 2 (electric only) also finishes on 31st August. I took the decision last week to switch supplier because EON could offer me no deal anywhere near equivalent to the one I was on. I was concerned that if I waited longer, the best deals on the market would disappear. I'm disappointed to switch from EON as I've had great customer service and an electricity monitor, and I like the online graphs that show the electricity savings etc. I really would have stayed if they could have price matched or even provided a semi-equivalent trafiff. Anyhow...

I've switched to NPower 6. Am I subject to this final bill inflation as well? I think my final bill will likely fall before the end of contract as I've given 6 weeks, and presume the change will happen before then...
    ----
    MsConstipatedPiggyBank is a massive fan of MSE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure