We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Withdrawing Cash without Bank card

Options
2»

Comments

• Marty06
    Marty06 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the main banks would let you withdraw using account number + ID

I don't know why Nationwide do things differently

Yep - this is my point. I think most banks do allow this: this is why I'm perplexed by the logic of Nationwide's policy. I simply don't see what it is achieving.
  • Mikhail
    Mikhail Posts: 261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    The logic as I see it is to put you off getting cash in the branch unless you are really desperate for it. They don't want the cash in branch to be a norm that you could do on every visit

Is it for people who has ATMfobia?
  • Mikhail
    Mikhail Posts: 261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was funny to see that comment, coz a couple days ago I was is a similar situation. I left my wallet at home. I don’t know how many of you carrying your driving licence (identity) in the wallet, but I certainty do. My situation is actually frightened me, coz I always thought that having a premier account with Lloyds with various products and feature I can go through the security questions and get at least £30.

But no, although I remembered my bank account number, its balance, balance of my ISA and CC Hove branch of Lloyds TSB decided firstly to give me £30 but suddenly changed their mind and literally took them back (I can see it on my statement) they argued their decision was because they don’t have my signature on file, I obviously said that it is not my problem if within 6 years of banking with them they didn’t bother to register my signature. They argued that if I would present them a photo ID or two utility bills they could proceed and give me £30. I asked them how often they go out with two utility bills on them and a photo ID separated from the valet. They start telling me crap about my own security... The first outcome – apparently if anyone knows your bank details and your scribble (signature) unless Lloyds TSB hires professional graphologists/cashiers they can withdraw money out of your account, now think about all the people, doggy news agents, home cleaners, etc., who have ever received your cheques, coz all that they need is there. Apparently, Lloyds consider this system secure. I told them if they can have my signature, why they can’t have my picture, I wouldn’t mind, or extra PIN for branch use only. I didn’t even mention fingerprint or eye scanners. That would be an ultimate identity that everyone can carry with them all the time; plus no obligations, if one wants to have his/her picture, fingerprints and eye scan on the file for a better security, why not?

The second outcome, I went to another branch of Lloyds and got £50 hassle free and without any additional security questions.

I guess the both branches are good example of extreme security and careless. I don’t want to bank with Lloyds anymore. I don’t want to be in a situation when an individual cashier depends on how good is his/her day/life was, makes a decision to help me or leave me stranded. I’m not going to carry with me two utility bills and photographic ID separate from my wallet just in order to follow absolutely crappy bank regulations. They are not for my security, coz I believe that I will be less secure walking 30km back home than losing £30 out of my account.

Those who disagree can f*ck off. Stick your life to T&C and hope it will never breach them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport