Withdrawing Cash without Bank card

Options
I left my bank card at home on a trip. I went into Nationwide to see if I could get money out without a card. They said only if I reported my card lost. If I did this I'd be able to get money out using a driving license. I told them the card wasn't lost, but they insisted this was a security measure because "someone else could be using the card".

So to recap: they'll happily give me money with only photo ID: but first I have to report my card (safely at home) as lost or stolen.

I'm struggling to see the logic.

If the assumption is that the person in the bank might be the fradulent one, why would they let me have money with my just driving license (i.e. they must be happy enough to use this ID to prove that it really is me to give me £500 from my account).

On the other hand, if they are worried that the card has been stolen, then why would I, the person that, after I've presented my driving license, they know to be the bona fide account holder, be interested in telling them that it wasn't stolen? Surely it's up to me to report whether it's stolen or not and if I'm happy to say it's not, then that's up to me? What possible fraud could happen when the account holder goes into the bank without his card and asserts it is at home?

I'm prepared to have someone explain how this security measure is functioning, but at the moment I can't see the logic!

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The logic as I see it is to put you off getting cash in the branch unless you are really desperate for it. They don't want the cash in branch to be a norm that you could do on every visit
  • Marty06
    Marty06 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    The logic as I see it is to put you off getting cash in the branch unless you are really desperate for it. They don't want the cash in branch to be a norm that you could do on every visit

So you think they are lying when they say it is a "security measure". Why would they want to not give me cash in branch?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nationwide has some very strange ideas of customer service on occasions.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Because if the card is not in your possession, which it should be, then it could be in someone else's - either because it wasn't yours to begin with or because you've given it to someone else.

I can see the logic in it.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You would be amazed how many people's own family "try it on" by looking to withdraw monies from their brother/sister/friends account. Sounds shocking but it happens.

Having to cancel the card has lost would involve going through various security checks, cancelling the card and should it not be genuine would alert the card holder when they try to use it whilst in their possession.

If it is the bank's policy that the card has to be present then so be it. You would be the first to complain if the bank withdrew funds from your account without the card without following the correct procedures. You only can't see the logic because you are not getting what you want.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Marty06 wrote: »
    So you think they are lying when they say it is a "security measure". Why would they want to not give me cash in branch?

It's part of a security measure.

I doubt if branch staff are trained in explaining the finer points of the reasons for it.
  • tobiascurious
    Options
    I think the main banks would let you withdraw using account number + ID

I don't know why Nationwide do things differently
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think the main banks would let you withdraw using account number + ID

I don't know why Nationwide do things differently

Well their motto is "Proud To Be Different" :D
  • Marty06
    Options
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    Because if the card is not in your possession, which it should be, then it could be in someone else's - either because it wasn't yours to begin with or because you've given it to someone else.

I can see the logic in it.

Yeah - but this could always be the case. I mean, I leave the card at home fifty times a year, and Nationwide don't feel the need to cancel it. Presumably they don't want you to carry it around at all times?

So why should they suddenly be worried it is lost when I am not worried it is lost?

If it wasn't mine to begin with, then they better not give me any money out of the account that I'm about to be able to get money from by showing my ID. And if I've given it to someone else, then what's it to them? That person will be happily taking money out of my account - the account I'm about to show I am the bona fide owner of.
  • Marty06
    Options
    pinkdalek wrote: »
    You would be amazed how many people's own family "try it on" by looking to withdraw monies from their brother/sister/friends account. Sounds shocking but it happens.

Having to cancel the card has lost would involve going through various security checks, cancelling the card and should it not be genuine would alert the card holder when they try to use it whilst in their possession.

But if I was 'trying it on' in the branch then why are they giving me money on the basis of showing my passport or other photo ID? Isn't it much more likely that a family member would take the card, go and withdraw cash with a forged signature, than they would go into the branch and try to withdraw cash showing a passport photo?!!
    pinkdalek wrote: »
    If it is the bank's policy that the card has to be present then so be it. You would be the first to complain if the bank withdrew funds from your account without the card without following the correct procedures. You only can't see the logic because you are not getting what you want.

Err.. no - I can't see the logic because I can't see the logic. I think this site is all about questioning why things happen. As I said in the opening post, I want to see the logic - but I can't. It's not just about not getting my way: I am inquisitive about how the world works and want to understand this policy!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure